Chapter Six

"Ito na nga ba ang sinasabi ko." Alfredo, the duchess' grandfather paced back and forth in the drawing-room of the Casa Ladrillo. "Two hundred men. Two hundred men were shot by the royal guards while the royal family threw lavish balls and feasts, even as his people continued to suffer,"

The matriarch of the Andrada family sighed as she stroked her daughter's hair.

"Hindi ito ang oras para pangaralan si Anastasiya," Adelita said protectively. "Kagagaling niya lang sa mga pangyayari,papa."

"Alam ko po,Lo..." Anastasiya murmured as terrible memories of the incident flashed before her eyes.

"Kailangan mo nang makialam, Anastasiya or bloodshed will rise upon this empire... unless you want another purging?"

Amelia's blood ran cold. Another purge is something she never wanted. She had spent time in the Andrada Library and knew how the empire itself purged citizens thrice in history.

And every time, the people had been innocent- this much she knew.

"Huwag mong kalimutan na isang babae ang apo mo, Papa!" Adelita shot furiously at her father."Do you want her to be deposed, or worse beheaded?" she adds.

"Pinalala mo ang sitwasyon ni Anastasiya nang napagpasyahan mong pumayag kang kunin ni Alejandro ang kamay niya. Pwede kang tumanggi, Adelita at hiinintay mo sana ang pagbalik ko mula Pransya. But you didn't- you dug your own daughter's grave the moment she became affiliated with this family."

The head of the family then turned to Anastasiya, who was distressed to be caught between her grandfather and her mother.

"Kahit sabihin kong wag kang makialam, alam kong susuwayin mo ako." he said staring intently. "With the line of succession frozen in stone, hindi natin alam kung hanggang saan ka mananatiling nasa taas at kung kailan maaring umiba ang ihip ng hangin."

"A-Anong ibig mong sabihin?" Adelita asks.

"Do what you must, dear granddaughter. Lumaki kang isang matalinong dalaga. Alam kong naiintindihan mo kung ano ang nais kong hilingin sa iyo."

A glimmer of hope was seen in his eyes. With that being told with careful words, Anastasiya knew it was a dangerous game that she was about to play. A fight with a double-edged sword that can both slay the enemy and slash her in return. Each step must be planned and executed in absolute perfection. 

Finding out the truth was the first step.

-----------------

She got her aim on his handsome face. Frozen by the ambitions that she can't erase. All the thoughts of gold and wealth that make her head spin in delight. In her eyes, lies are hidden and deception is about to take place. 

In the eyes of the woman is the demise of one's man.

"Dolores? Anong sadya mo at namalagi ka dito?"Carlos asked as he looked up from the paperworks he was reading. Somehow, he found herself lost in those eyes and alluring lips.

The new governess of Maria Aleta looked at the prince. Her red lips upturned into a smile. Sitting down on the chair in front of his table. The countess spoke:

"Bilang bagong guro ni Prinsesa Maria Aleta, may mga tanong lang akong nais masagot upang mas maging epektibo ang pagtuturo ko sa princesa." she said with such eloquence.

"Hindi ba dapat ang asawa ko ang tanungin mo sa mga bagay na iyan?" Carlos asks as he reverted his gaze back to his work.

The countess got up and gently massaged his shoulder. Her feather-like touch felt like a raging fire across his skin. Her hot breath sent chills upon his spine as she whispered in his ear.