Chapter Twenty Two

"Niall, please just open the door," Ryder said as he knocked at a door.

I was so confused as to how I had gotten back here. The Last thing I remembered was Dr. Hai's screams as I descendant to the depths of hell. 'Did Niall save me?'

"Ryder?" I called out to Ryder as I walked towards him. I reached my hand out to touch him, but it went right through his body, making me gasp and stumble back. 

I looked at my hand that felt completely fine, and it didn't look dead. My breath started to quicken as many horrifying thoughts went through my mind. If I were not alive, why was I stuck here? 

Wasn't death supposed to feel calm? 

Tears started dropping from my eyes as the sounds of Ryder's knocks on Niall's door echoed in my mind as merely unnoticeable noise. I felt like I was in a conflict that I had no hand in, had no control over. I was suffocating.

"Ryder!" Serenity's panicked voice went right through my mind, breaking me out of the trance I fell in. "They got her!"

I looked up at Ryder slowly, connecting my eyes with his. A spark of hope momentarily lit in my eyes. I thought he saw me until Serenity walked through me. He was looking at her.

"What?" He said, his eyes widening.

"I'm here!" I screamed as I stumbled towards them.

"They got Elina. She's with them."

Niall's door opened wide, revealing an angry Niall. "What did you just say?"

"She," Ryder's voice faded as he narrowed his eyebrows," she betrayed us."

I broke into sobs at that. "I'm sorry," I said as I tried to touch Serenity, "I'm sorry."

I looked at Niall. He had his gaze pointed towards the floor, his hands clenched in fists as he breathed heavily.

I held my hand out to him, tears pouring profusely. "Niall, I'm sorry," my voice cracked.

"She's an enemy," he stated, and as if he felt my hand inches away from his face, he stepped back. "Announce that to everyone else, and make sure Zurie is the first one to know."

'Zurie? he already replaced me?'

He looked up at Serenity with eyes that held nothing. He was void of feelings. 

"This war is against Fishnarts, Elves, and Elina now. Everyone is to erase whatever memories you had with her." His voice was dripping with venom, yet his face was calm.

"Niall, don't let me go. I'm so sorry," I whispered.

"She was useless anyway. Merely a dead weight."

That was when the last intact piece of my heart shattered. That was how Niall saw me the whole time I was with him. As I stepped back, I could see him as another stranger. He was someone I never knew.

He was an enemy.

And he lit a black fire within me.

***

Niall's POV

"We just need to know if we can attack from the north side," I said as I looked at the map, "last time we trusted an Elf, we got tricked. They lured us into their base and waited for us to get somewhat comfortable. It was all a plan."