24

"I adore you so much, why don't you understand? I'm just trying to be close to you."

He heard the words but they were so distant. It was like Mitch would've been underwater in an aggressive storm. Maybe he was suffocating but he couldn't decide yet.

"I know you love me, too. Trust me, if they call the police, I will be the first to stab you. I'll look into your eyes so you'll feel the pain I felt when you kept ignoring me. Why did you tell them that you wanted to be with me? The voices, you know, they kept saying it. They would never lie to me, it was you who did."

There was one thing that Mitch was sure about: he's never been in this much pain before. Almost like he was dying. He wished it would end.

"They can't separate us. They're trying but they can't. I would kill for you. You made me this sick and I hate you for that... So won't you die tonight for love?"

Mitch didn't try to make out the words he was hearing. The darkness felt so much better than holding onto consciousness.

***

A loud crash. Yelling. Stomping feet.

"He has a knife!"

"The police in on their way."

"Call the ambulance!"

"Scott, no! He has a knife!"

Mitch wasn't sure what was happening. In fact, he wasn't even sure if the voices he heard were made up by his imagination or not. They all sounded familiar, yet he couldn't place them anywhere.

"Let him run, please! I don't want you to get hurt!"

"Is he even alive?!"

Sobs. Then he somehow recognized Beau's voice finally. He's never heard him crying like this. He wanted to ask him what was going on, but everything hurt too much and he couldn't make himself.

Someone was holding him down. Not like he could move otherwise. Forcing a breath after another was excruciating and although he knew he wasn't getting enough air, he was too exhausted trying.

He felt something touching his lips, as light as feather.
"You're mine. No one can take you away from me now."

***

Mark grabbed Beau's wrist, holding him tight. The younger man's eyes were sparkling with rage. Neither of them dared to look away from the sight on the bedroom floor. They all stood there in shocked silence.

Mark already knew that there was no way Scott would forgive himself.

'Mitchy, how would he reach you? You're at our place. You're safe, alright?' The baritone wished he would've never said any those words out loud. Of course, it was too late. His blood was boiling. He's never felt this kind of a disgust before.
"Get the fuck off him," he hissed but all he got was a bitter laughter. He wanted to murder that guy right there. He was moments from breaking down.

Beau's muscles were tense. There was absolutely no way he would let Mark stop him.
"Please, he has a knife!" he heard Mark whisper but there was no use. He'd walk into that goddamn knife if that could save his boyfriend. He was so terrifyingly silent.
"I need to see if he's alive," he mumbled, trying to escape from Mark's touch but soon enough he felt another hand on his arm.
"Mark is right. We have to wait," Scott said, his voice cracking.

They've heard the sirens from far away and their breaths hitched.
"You can leave before they arrive. If you kill him, they're going to find you," Scott tried.
"He won't die," the answer came after a short pause. "He can't die. He's mine."
Beau was ready to jump, the insensate rage written all over his features. "He's never been yours."

Two police cars stopped in the front of their home.

It happened within a moment. The guy jumped up and he yanked Mark's arm in the blink of an eye. The man lost his balance, but he was caught. And soon he felt something cold against his skin.
"I'll show you what it feels like when they're taking away what's yours."
That was the last thing Scott could take. He was shouting at the top of his lungs and he didn't even know what he was saying. Seeing Mark's eyes filled with fear, it was like losing his own mind.
"If you take a step closer, I'll stab him," the man said and his voice was so nauseatingly calm that it triggered Scott even more. The only thing that stopped him was the police entering the front door.

Suddenly the man stepped away.
"You'll regret this, trust me," he hissed. "Once I'll come back and take what's mine."

Scott was too buzzy trying to see if Mark was harmed. He stared back at him, still frozen in fear. Scott couldn't see through the tears as he scooped the man into his arms.

***

Something touched his wrist. It took Mitch quite a long time to process that it was an actual person but when the realization hit him, he immediately tried to draw apart. That weird pain was still present though and it shot through his body like electricity.
"Hey, don't move!" The warms fingers slowly traced up on his arm and stopped by his shoulder. Soon he felt another hand on his own, holding him softly. Somehow it made him relax a little, even if his body was screaming in agony. He tried to open his eyes but the view was blurry and his head was ponding.
"He's awake!" That someone stated louder. It was Beau. Mitch has never felt such a relief before. If Beau was there, that meant good. "Babe, are you still with us? Mitchy?" He questioned and Mitch wanted to answer him so badly. "I'm not sure if he knows what's going on," the boy continued. What was he even talking about?

He was desperate for Beau's touch. When the boy drew his hand away, it left Mitch filled with the paralyzing fear again and he couldn't take any more of it. Not until this torment finally ended. He felt dangerously nauseous and he was on the verge of passing out again. He tried to say something but the only thing that left his mouth was a pathetic whimper.
"I know, sweetheart. The help is on their way." Beau's fingers gently touched his cheeks and wandered up, stroking his hair out of the way.

His body was on fire. It was impossible to cope with everything at once. He knew that he was going to throw up and somehow Beau noticed it, too.
"Turn him on his side," someone said but Mitch couldn't figure who.
"Is that blood?"
"Fuck, is he dying?!"

***

The way to the hospital felt like a blur. Scott was sitting on a white bench with Mark on his side, blankly staring at the wall. His hands were shaking in his boyfriend's grip. It felt like he just stopped crying, yet tears welled up his eyes again. Mark put an arm around him and soon Scott was sobbing into his shoulder.

He couldn't find the words to express how horrifyingly guilty he felt.

They've heard steps on the floor tiles and Scott yanked his head up, but his gaze only met Kirstie's worried look. Before she could open her mouth, Scott shook his head. They've been waiting for at least an hour and they still knew nothing about Mitch.

Someone called his parents and now they were on their way from Arlington to Los Angeles, absolutely panicked. Scott couldn't decide if that made him feel better or worse. There was no way he could look into Nel's and Mike's eyes knowing how much he fucked up. His best friend was possibly between life and death and it was all his fault. Scott didn't know something could hurt this much.

He had no idea where Beau and Austin were. They've alerted Mitch's friend, too, just as every other member in the band. Kevin and Matt arrived after Kirstie.

Waiting was suffocating. The hospital was too white and too silent, the smell made them even more anxious. But there was no other way, they had to be patient. Mitch had to be alright.

Even if deep in their hearts they knew that he was never going to be the same again.