seven . hakari

i dont know anything about hakari haha im just making things up...

-

ayame had only placed one foot out of her room when her stomach growled like a dinosaur trying to find a mate. the girl's eyes darted around her, making sure no one heard the embarrassingly loud noise.

'okay, maybe not human interaction time,' ayame thought. running on an empty stomach is bad, right? she's a growing girl, she needs those sweet, sweet nutrients.

the school grounds was eerily silent. ayame could hear her own heartbeats, or maybe it's because she's nervous to walk around this new territory alone. she should've asked shunji about the place...

but no worries, as long as she doesn't need to talk to anyone, ayame would be fine.

"hey."

to say that ayame was shocked was an understatement. the girl's shoulders jolted violently at the sudden voice, and she could definitely say she almost peed herself.

turning around, she was met with a pair of eyes looking down at her.

it was a guy with dark skin and black curly hair. he was towering over her. with the shadow casted over his face, ayame would say he would scare off kids in the theme park. give them nightmares, even.

"um... hello."

it was silent for a few seconds. a silence that was painfully awkward for ayame.

"you."

"...yes?"

the guy held out his hand with a serious expression(maybe that's his resting face...). "i'm a first year. you can call me hakari."

ayame blinked. 'oh... how straightforward.'

"nice to meet you," ayame gladly shook his hand. the difference between their hand sizes was laughable, with ayame looking like a baby's. "i'm ayame... i'm also a first year."

"likewise."

they both let go of their hands and stared at each other.

...

now what.

"umm, hakari-kun..." ayame was the first one to speak up. "...do you know where the cafeteria is?"

"no."

"oh..."

'is he... is he not good at talking or something...?' a drop of sweat trickled down ayame's forehead.

"well, i'm going to find it... wanna come...?"

hakari nodded.

and so it began, the adventure of ayame and hakari to find the school's legendary cafeteria, said to be a myth in the old texts of ancient civilization. ayame would do anything to find it, even if it costed her life, but with her newly made companion, hakari, things were going to be easier than she had anticipated.

"hakari-kun..."

"hm?"

sniff sniff.

ayame snapped towards hakari. "i smell it."

"me too." hakari nodded, playing along without any questions.

who knew that the fastest way to the cafeteria was to smell where the cooking came from.

-

the place was empty, save for a few workers there. the two had taken a seat near the counter for their convenience. ayame scoffed down the food like she hadn't eaten in days, while hakari sipped his drink in silence.

it was always good to make small talk to get to know the other person, but ayame had long pushed the idea away. her food was in front of her and the only action she would take is to devour it.

it didn't matter though, as she had finished it in 10 minutes.

wiping her lips with a tissue, she set down her chopsticks and sighed. a fulfilling meal, indeed. she felt energized now, and her eyes are wide open, unlike their usual droopy state.

sipping her water, ayame asked. "hakari-kun... when did you arrive at the school?"

"uh," hakari, who was staring at the sky, now looked at ayame. "at 10."

"ohh..."

the two stared at each other.

cutting the silence, hakari added. "i met gojou-sensei at the entrance."

"ehh... gojou-sensei didn't even check up on me."

"uh. he left after he showed me the dorm. he said he had a mission."

"oh, that's why..." ayame hums. it seemed that gojou satoru was a busy man. "and why did you greet me earlier? have you met the other students...?"

"no. you were the first person i saw today and you looked like a student. so i greeted you."

"so you haven't met our seniors too, then... i only know shinju-senpai."

"shinju-senpai?"

"she's a second year. i think she's in her room..."

if anyone were to look at them, one would think they were discussing important matters, like two agents trying to be discreet while sharing intels. it was funny, one was a super beefy guy and the other looked like a child beside him. ayame was tall herself, but hakari's build made her look smaller than usual.

to think the two would start 'gossiping' the first day they met.

"you've made a friend already, ayame-chan?" shinju's voice could be heard a few steps away from their table. the two first years glanced at the older girl.

"oh... that's shinju-senpai."

"you're hakari-kun, right? nice to meet you." shinju waved at hakari, who nodded in response.

"nice to meet you too, shinju-senpai."

at the sound of the honorific title coming from hakari, shinju visibly brightens. she covered her mouth as her cheeks reddened from flattery. "aw shucks, you're making me shy now."

ayame frowned. "what's up with this reaction...? you weren't that happy when i called you senpai..."

"what do you mean? i'm happy too!" shinju said as she took a seat beside ayame before clinging onto her. "you're my only female junior, i'd do anything for my precious ayame-chan!"

"okay... this is too much for me, senpai." ayame cringed, pushing the senior away.

hakari sipped his drink as he watched them in silence.