ten . "even his toes?"

"senseeeeei."

gojou looked up from his phone. spotting his two students, the man slipped his phone into his back pocket. "welcome back!"

"gojou-sensei." hakari held up the box they had found earlier. the two students looked at their teacher with expectant expressions, waiting for an explanation.

"hm?" gojou took the box, and opened it. the edge of his lips lifted up. "oho, what a surprise."

"what is it...?"

"this," gojou held up the finger. "is what they call sukuna's finger."

hakari and ayame glanced at each other.

seeing their visible confusion, gojou began explaining about sukuna, the king of curses, and how strong he was. from what ayame understood, apparently the dude never died or something, and he still exists in this world but in the form of his fingers.

'i'm sure he's not having a great time without his fingers...'

"in total, there are 20 fingers."

"20 fingers...?" ayame looked horrified. "even his toes?" 'damn. the guy's definitely not having a good time!'

"no, no. sukuna has four arms."

"oh."

"well, this was a great find!" gojou said, placing his hands on the duo's shoulders. "great work, you two."

hakari nodded and ayame gave gojou a thumbs up.

they all then went on to return to the school, and the girl was beyond happy. she was ready to throw herself onto her bed, change out of her uniform and slip into her dreams... ah, what a luxury that is.

-

"hakari-kun? where are you going..." ayame asked after noticing hakari going the opposite way from their dorms.

hakari turned around. "i'm going to train."

"huh?!" the girl looked at her classmate as if he has grown two heads. "you... aren't going to rest?"

"i'll rest in the middle of training."

unbelievable. isn't he tired after being forced to wake up so early? well, then again he might've been used to it already. ayame didn't know much about hakari, but he definitely seemed like someone who had trained to become a sorcerer since childhood.

"i'll join you."

hakari blinked. "sure."

"then, lets..."

"oh, ayame!" gojou waved at the girl to come over. "come here for a sec. i have a few questions to ask."

ayame told hakari to go first, before approaching gojou who was sitting near a pond.

"what is it, sensei?"

"alright, i've been meaning to ask something but i forgot!" as expected. "ayame. you're pretty good at balancing your cursed energy. who taught you?"

"my grandmother... but she passed away when i was young. she also taught me my technique."

"i see. was your grandmother a sorcerer? what's her name."

"umm..." ayame rubbed her neck. "uhh... it was ohashi..."

"take your time."

a lightbulb in ayame's head lit up. "it was ohashi yuriko." she turned towards gojou. "sensei. have you heard her name?"

"hmm. nope."

"what?! she was super strong!"

'ayame raised her voice. that's a first.' gojou chuckled. "pretty sure her name slipped my mind. if she was able to teach you all of that, i'm sure she's strong." the man then got up and began walking off. "anyways that's all i needed. you can go do your thing now!"

ayame frowned. her grandmother was super strong in her memories, she always protected her from cursed spirits. surely gojou would know of her.

...

well, whatever. hakari was waiting for her, so she should hurry up.

-

"so... what do you usually do during trainings?"

ayame had changed out of her uniform and into a plain grey tracksuit. she figured that training with a skirt would be a hassle(even though she was wearing shorts). she was currently warming her body up with stretches, copying whatever hakari was doing.

"well, runs, pushups, things like that." hakari said. "though now that you're here..."

"hm?"

"we can spar."

"huuuh...?" ayame sputtered and shot up from her crouching position. "me? with you...?"

"yeah."

ayame didn't know what to do. sure she knows basics, but fighting someone like hakari? might as well get crushed by a meteorite at that point! the difference between their prowess in battle was immense, especially close-combat.

seeing his classmate's reaction, hakari added. "of course i'll go easy on you."

"oh...!"

"at first."

"oh..."

sighing, hakari sat down on the grass. he patted the spot next to him, inviting ayame to sit down as well. the girl followed, and pulled her knees close to her chest.

"gojou-sensei asked me to teach you about melee combat, because you didn't seem to have any experience."

ayame felt a jab into her heart.

"also, your body looks pretty weak."

another jab.

"i bet your punches are the same as a toddler's."

by now, ayame was slaughtered. the oblivious hakari who continued to list off ayame's weaknesses at the top of his head, and he didn't seem to be finishing any time soon.

"so that's why i'll help you get in shape." hakari glanced at ayame, who looked like a deflated balloon. "your technique focuses on defense, right?"

at the mention of her technique, ayame lifted up her head. "yeah."

"hmmm."

"hmmm...?"

"then that means you have to be on the field for a long time. first, we need to build your stamina and endurance."

"which means...?"

"which means," hakari got up, and pat off the grass on his pants. "we'll be running laps. until you die."

"...what?!"

hakari didn't bother listening to what ayame was about to say, as he had already started running on the track field. ayame, with much reluctance, started to run behind him before slowly catching up.

'maybe i shouldn't have joined him...'