eight . yay! first class!

"hello there, my precious new students!" gojou satoru clapped his hands as his two first year students stood in front of him in their uniforms. "how are you feeling about your new school? cool uniform, right?"

hakari and ayame were finally wearing their uniforms, and ayame sure felt cool. hakari was as quiet as ever, so ayame doesn't know what he thought about it. ayame played with her sleeves. it was bigger than she had expected, but it wasn't a problem.

"now, i'm sure you both know why we're here, right?"

they were currently standing in front of an abandoned office. it was probably to exorcise a cursed spirit, but...

'why... why did we come here at 5 am in the morning?!'

ayame's eyes were barely open, hell, she might even be sleeping while standing! she usually got up at 6 am, but one hour earlier than usual... she pressed her lips into a thin line.

gojou continued talking, ignoring the fact that his students are not giving any responses. "for your first ever class, you are going to investigate this spooky office!"

it was dark, but ayame could see that the office had two sections, almost like a twin tower, except smaller. it definitely looked abandoned, as there were cracks in the wall and wild plants starting to grow arouns the building. it was dead quiet, enhancing the spooky element even more.

"there have been complaints of strange noises coming from this place, so we have been sent over to check it." gojou explained. then, he ushers the pair to enter the building. "now off you go, i'll be waiting outside."

the two first years, of course, complied without much questions. there was already a clear goal in their minds.

exterminate every spirit you run into.

ayame yawned, her eyes getting watery. "man... i wanted to sleep more..."

their footsteps echoed through the halls, with hakari's heavy ones being more noticeable. it was dark, so they were given a flashlight each. if they had a supernatural-themed account or something, ayame was sure they'd get a lot of views.

hakari spoke up for the first time that day,"ayame, let's split up."

"huh?"

"it'll be faster that way. i think there are only low grade spirits here."

ayame scratched her head. yeah, she didn't feel anything strong except for faint energy coming from random directions in the building. if it's just low grade, she can take care of them. "okay, i'll continue on..."

hakari nodded. before leaving, he said,"run to me if you need help."

"right..."

'as long as the spirits weren't as strong as the one back then, i'll be fine.'

by the spirit back then, she meant the one that attacked her and her classmate, riku.

it was after gojou had saved them that ayame found out the spirit was close to a special grade cursed spirit. with her underdeveloped, half-baked, sorry excuse of skills of cursed technique, ayame definitely didn't stand a chance against it.

it had been more than a month since then. not much time, but ayame had spent the entirety of the month training her cursed technique. she was literally breathing it every second at that point.

ayame's confidence in using her technique definitely increased, even just the slightest bit. of course she doesn't expect herself to one-shot a grade 1 spirit or anything, but she could try to exorcise one.

give her a day to go at it.

...okay, maybe not. her attention span wasn't the best.

with her abilities right now, it'd be better to focus on grade 2 and below instead.

patience is key. it's not like she's in a hurry to become strong.

-

'that was the last one, right...?'

ayame huffed, patting off dust from her hand. she had spent about 40 minutes - maybe 50 - wandering around the building, and all the cursef spirits she ran into were just a bunch of small fries. it didn't take much except for a few small flowers to exorcise them.

as ayame was taking out her phone to text hakari, her eyes landed on a door a few metres away from her.

'ah, i haven't checked that one.' ayame walked towards it, shoving her phone into her uniform pocket.

the girl squinted at the sign on the door. the writing had faded, but she could make out a few letters. by guessing, the letters made up the word 'team leader'.

"excuse me..." ayame said to no one in particular. turning the knob, she pushed the door open and flashed her light into the room.

ayame's eyes widened.

"what the..."