four . (not) a trip to the bookstore (2)

it was like a vacuum.

before riku had a change to pullout her phone, a sudden burst of strong wind pulled them into the house. upon a clearer look, though, ayame saw that it wasn't wind.

wind don't have arms... right?

a monstrous, deformed hand had scooped them, like one of those claw machines you see at arcades.

ayame instantly pulled a screaming riku close, while keeping her mom's ingredients in her other hand with the strongest death grip she could manage. a classmate was one thing, and her mother's wrath was another. she didn't want to get her ass whooped once she got back home.

"hold onto me!" ayame yelled as she struggled to open her eyes. "if you let go, you're dead!"

the place was strangely dark. like a void. at least, that's what the girl could make out. it was also quite spacious - is it? maybe the darkness was playing a trick on her eyes.

but it had an end, that's for sure.

the hand slammed both of them into a wall, with ayame getting the full course of pain and suffering. her head might've gotten smashed into her body, if not for the fact that she hurriedly covered herself in a layer of her cursed energy. it was hastily done, so there were still injuries inflicted onto her.

"ohashi-san! are you -"

a chuckle echoed from behind them.

"LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT SOME LOVELY HUMANS OVER HERE."

ayame groggily got up and handed riku her belongings. "stay -" a cough. "stay behind me - and close your eyes!"

riku complied, and hugged their items close to her chest to protect them. ayame tried her best to shield her classmate from the spirit in front of them.

the spirit was quite impressive - or horrifying? - to say the least. the amount of pressure the girl felt just by looking at it was the same as being 20 metres deep in water. had riku even glanced at it, the girl might've lost her mind.

"DON'T WORRY." the spirit's voice boomed, hurting the ear drums that listened. "I'LL MAKE IT SLOW AND PAINFUL, WE'D NEED TO SEASON THE MEAT FIRST, YES?"

"guh, disgusting..." ayame muttered under her breath. she'd rather go deaf than have a conversation with this creature.

...

hold on.

'this spirit can talk really well,' ayame slowly brought her hands together. 'and it's alone too. could it be that...'

ayame looked around the black room. anxiety began to build up each time she realized something. there weren't any exits, no windows, unlike the building they saw a few minutes ago.

it was a simple conclusion.

they were in the spirit's domain.

-

"my, she's sure quite late today."

ms. ohashi said as she glanced at the clock. it was currently 8.39pm, and there was still no signs of her daughter coming home. no texts, no calls. was running an errand that difficult?

"you told her to stop by kawakami's bakery, right? it's a few towns over, you know." her husband, ohashi tatsumi, said from beside her, coffee in hand. "maybe she stopped by some shops. you know how she is.*

"i wonder..."

'yes, perhaps it's a busy day. kawakami-san's bakery is quite popular after all...'