39: One Truth in a Sea of Lies

— TIFFANY —

"Promise ring lang," Jolo whispered as we walked along the long glass display of jewelry. There are hundreds of rings all lined up for us to choose. Birth stone rings, Moissanite rings, Platinum rings. And the most beautiful and ever so classic, Diamond rings.

"Promise ring?" I asked, begging to clarification.

"To promise," he answered. "That I will never lie, never leave, and never lose her once again."

Sasha's birthday is in three days and Jolo is neck-deep in preparations. There will be a simple party in his new house, and then another celebration in a private vacation house he rented in Tagaytay. He asked for my help in picking out a ring for her, because he knows he can't trust Nica with a secret because she's way too close to Sasha now.

"What does she want ba? Do you know her taste?" I asked. "She doesn't look like she wears any jewelry at all, what if she doesn't like it?"

Jolo chuckled, his eyes focused on the rings as he walked along the wooden floor. "Magugustuhan niya iyon. Madali lang naman mapasaya iyon." He smiled.

He told me about the paper roses he used to make for her. He said that he didn't have money to buy actual roses when they were younger, so he folded a piece of paper and turned it into a rose. That was the story of his first kiss with her, and they didn't know it yet but that also marked the beginning of their romance.

"Ito," he whispered, his eyes stuck on a ring that was right in the middle of the display. The salesperson was just observing us from a distance but he walked closer when Jolo pointed on the ring he wanted. It was a silver ring with intricate details, and a small diamond in the center. The salesperson opened the glass display and carefully picked the ring out, showing it to us.

It was much prettier up close. The diamond has a faint pinkish tint to it, and it looks like a tiny little flower because of all the designs on the actual band.

"Rare pink diamond," the salesperson announced as if he was introducing the Queen of England. "Beautiful and timeless. The perfect ring for the perfect lady." He reached out for my hand and lay the ring next to my skin, smiling proudly to himself. "This ring is meant to be yours, ma'am."

I don't usually blush, but when I do, it is so hard to hide it. I felt my cheeks grow hot from embarrassment because I know the ring isn't for me. I took a step backwards and shook my head. "No, it's not—"

"I'll take it," Jolo interrupted. He was so mesmerized by the ring, he looks like he's been hypnotized.

The salesperson smiled from ear to ear and smiled brightly, clapping his hand thrice in excitement.

Together, they talked a few more about the payment, insurance, and what box Jolo would like to put it in.

I was okay just a few minutes ago, but now, I am starting to feel sad for myself.

I want the ring.

It was the most beautiful thing I have ever laid my eyes on, and I badly want it!

I wonder how good it would feel to have Jolo kneel on the ground and give it to me. I would for sure be ugly-crying for days.