Before England

They watched as Kattegat now housed more people than they could have ever imagined.

Ubbe was enjoying his married life, at least he was forgetting he had hoped to marry Freya and was returning to see her in a more chaste way.

One afternoon, Freya was skinning some animals for the nightly feast when she was approached by Hvitserk. He stood tall in front of her, "Can we talk?" he asked always rather hopeful, she lifted her head, nodded and kept working as she looked down again, "Let me help you" he prompted, he took a knife himself and helped her; after a while he started looking dreary, "I still wish you would take my gift" he whispered stopping what he was doing to turn his head slightly towards her, "Hvitserk I know what that gift means" she chuckled, "Then take it" he insisted putting down his knife and stopping her from working by putting his hand on her forearm, she stared at him vehemently but said nothing.

"I'm jealous, Freya" he said under his breath, she looked at him briefly, he would not relinquish easily, that was sure; he slowly let his hand near her face and pushed a strand of her hair behind her shoulder, "Jealous?" she asked curtly taking his hand firmly and putting it beside him, he sighed slightly, "I can't stay without you" he admitted, now it was him who took her bloody hand, it felt like her heart had taken a great leap over a cliff and was now falling, like in the dreams, when you suddenly wake up. She looked at him and said, "You should go. I don't want to talk anymore". She couldn't believe him, had he no shame? Telling her he could not stay without her and then fucking Margrethe every other night, that woman was poisoning both him and Ubbe.

He snorted and stated, "I am not going anywhere" "Then I am" she said and without saying anything else she retrieved her hand and walked away.

She walked hastily through the streets, without minding the people around her, only thinking of Hvitserk's words when she bumped into Halfdan; the fascinating man turned around at once and changed his angry expression into a smile when he saw it was her, "I'm sorry" she said immediately, she almost tripped again trying to walk away but he helped her keep still, "Are you okay?" he asked looking at her hands, she glanced down and saw the blood she hadn't washed away yet, "Yes, thank you. I was just skinning hares" she explained with a hurried smile trying not to look at him, "Are you sure you are good?" he questioned again worriedly. She calmed down and put a smile over her face and finally looked at him, "I am, truly" she stated and, as he nodded, she walked away. As soon as she turned around her face turned stone cold again; she arrived in an empty corner of the beach and sat down after washing her hands in the sea. It was difficult making up her mind and it was even more challenging doing so and go on about her day with the constant threat of Hvitserk coming to demand her to love him; she remained alone for a little longer and then went home to Guthrum, Hali and Asa.

They were all celebrating and feasting that night, with Kings and Earls who had come from Norway and Denmark; Freya started to dance to honour Ragnar and as the music was going on every body turned to look at her. She passed the four brothers' table and looked at each of them but at Hvitserk more intensely, she didn't even know why she did it herself, though she felt compelled to and he returned her look almost hypnotized, with his mouth slightly open; she kept dancing and every men was blinded by her, as men were easily so when presented with a good-looking woman.

Halfdan had his usual glowering eyes wide open and fixed on her and Floki noticed, "I wouldn't waste my time. Unless you want to fight Bjorn of course" he told him, Halfdan and King Harald looked at each other. To spend the rest of his life with her? He would have taken his chances against Bjorn Ironside.

As the music stopped, Freya did as well and everybody cheered. "To Ragnar!" she shouted, "To Ragnar" they all echoed. She turned to Lagertha and bowed so that everybody could see her and her grandmother nodded with a smile to her and returned to entertain her Jarls; Freya then walked around the room and bumped into Hvitserk, "I'm sorry" she said haughtily with just a quick glance, "Do not worry. You looked beautiful dancing" he told her with a smile, "Thank you, Hvitserk" she said gently, ready to move along, but he bent over slightly and leaning in he held her arm and whispered, "I need more of you", he backed away slightly and stared at her for a moment hoping to hear the same from her perhaps. All she gave him was a defiant look and a punch to the stomach, she then moved on and went to Ivar, Ubbe, Sigurd and Margrethe and sat with them glowering silently.