The shieldmaiden's funeral, and another goodbye

They arrived a few days later and Kattegat was deserted, Freya followed her father like a shadow. Every single man, woman and child was silently waiting and looking towards the frozen waters of the fjord as the snow gently fell down.

Lagertha's funeral was majestic, like nothing they had ever seen before.

Bjorn arrived and Ubbe approached him, "There is no need to tell me Ubbe. I already know. My mother is dead" he said and he went to sit down before her boat. Freya didn't know what to feel, whether to focus on her own despair or try to be strong for her father and mother.

Her, Ubbe, Torvi and Gunnhild could hear Bjorn talk but they were too far to discern his words, he was saying his long goodbye to Lagertha.

Freya stood next to Torvi the whole time, she knew how much she loved her. Her mother started singing and when she had finished the boat was being pulled in the middle of the lake and archers were ready to set fire all around it to break the ice and then all the shieldmaidens pulled her boat away.

Asa went to see under the ice and at the very end Freya walked next to her father and with both her arms, as if she was pushing something with much strength, she moved the air that immediately turned into a vortex of fire towards the boat, it was most powerful, and she said, "This is the fire of the warrior, your fire, Lagertha, shield maiden".

The vortex didn't burn out under water but at one point it just disappeared. Freya then walked to Asa and took her in her arms and stood still. She cried and her little sister comforted her, "The Valkyries are taking her home" she said, she smiled to her and dried her tears away.

After half an hour of silence some returned to their houses weeping Lagertha, mother of Norway, some remained. Freya went to Torvi, Ubbe and Gunnhild. The Queen hugged her and Freya saw her with a walking stick and asked, "Are you okay?" "Yes, do not worry" she answered tenderly. She then turned to Torvi and hugged her tight, "I've missed you mother" she said, Freya looked at her in the eyes and as Torvi opened her mouth she said, "I know about Hali. I saw him with the sword in his hands. He was most brave" she told him, Asa held her mother's hand, a small child, trying to reassure her. Freya turned around and saw her father still looking in front of him.

Ubbe caught her attention, Freya's big brother, the one who always offered his help and protection; "Ubbe" she hugged him, "Freya" he said giving her a kiss, "What happened?" he asked talking about Bjorn, "King Olaf ordered an election. To decide who was to be King of all Norway" "Bjorn won?" asked Gunnhild greedy for some good news. Freya looked at her and then at Ubbe, "After King Harald was freed, he bribed the others and won. He ordered Bjorn's murder. We fled away" she let them know.

They remained in silence when Freya turned to Torvi and said, "You should tell him about Hali" and she nodded hopeless.

Freya noticed there was the slave her father had sex with and she wasn't much happy; how could Gunnhild have her there she did not know.

*

It took her little time to understand who had killed Lagertha. She simply knew that, Amma knew that and quickly others would have as well.

That same day, she was alone, walking around Kattegat looking for Hvitserk's place when she met Amma running after her.

"Amma, where does Hvitserk stay?" she asked her, she gave her directions then asked why she wanted to know, "I know he killed Lagertha" said Freya sternly. Amma worried, "You can't be sure" she tried, "But I am and I need him to be aware of what awaits him" she said, "Freya I beg you, he is sick. He doesn't know what he does" continued her friend, "Amma, you are intelligent enough to know better than to try not to make me feel pity for him, because I won't" she hissed, Amma stood between the only way to go through and begged again, "I don't want to hurt you, Amma" said Freya, her friend hesitated then let her through and ran in the opposite direction.