York

They were all dining together and discussing what they should have done next.

"This is a good opportunity. We have the resources to make a permanent settlement" said Ubbe, Hvitserk sat down, "Good. Do you agree Ivar?" he asked, "I don't want to disband the army. In fact, I want to continue the war against the Saxons while we are still in a position of strength" he told them, "My suggestion is that we go back north to where we defeated Aelle. We should establish a permanent camp as you say, but near the coast, from where we can raid wherever we want" he finished. Ubbe swallowed what he was chewing and said, "Our father's dream was that we wouldn't be just raiders, that we would behave in a different way" "You are not listening Ubbe, we need to have a stronghold. If we go north we are closer to our own lands and shipping routes. We can build an impregnable fortress" argued Ivar, "Where?" asked Hvitserk, "I've heard of a town called York. It is built on a major river and its not far from the sea" explained Ivar, "And I think that we should take it" he finished plainly.

"No. It would seem like a withdrawal" said Ubbe calmly, "Yes, yes it would. But it is only tactical" continued Ivar, "Surely, you understand, Ubbe, if we establish ourselves in the middle of the country, then we are surrounded by enemies. In York, we are nearer home. Right, Hvitserk?" Ivar asked his brother certain he would side with him. Hvitserk looked at Ubbe and stated, "I agree with Ivar. We should go north and attack York". Ubbe was outnumbered and had to agree, "It's good" he said with a fake smile taking his plate away to finish his dinner somewhere else.

Hvitserk and Ivar looked at each other after Ubbe left while Freya kept eating and drinking in silence; she knew Ubbe was not fond of that idea, they all knew but he wasn't comfortable with having them look at him while his idea had been shot down, he'd rather be alone when he was vulnerable.

"What are your thoughts?" asked her Hvitserk leaning back on his chair, "I don't quite agree" she said calmly, going on with her dinner. Ivar looked at her stupefied, "Why so, Freya?" he asked calmly, willing to listen to her more than he was to listen to his brother. "Well, I agree we should have a fortress closer to our home but I don't think we should keep raiding. We could easily win our army a safe base and farm the lands there, taking more than just East Anglia" she explained. Hvitserk was clearly thinking about it but Ivar prompted, "Freya we are raiders. You want to be the one to tell the men we are gonna settle and farm and become old and grey?" he dared her, she leaned closer to his face and with a smile she said, "I could easily do that" "I know you could pull that off" he said and laughed.

It was already late and Freya was feeling sluggish and tired. Hvitserk was eyeing the women who were taking care of their food and Freya noticed that. She didn't quite like it, she turned around and said, "From now on you'll prepare the food somewhere else, bring some of the men slaves from Northumbria to work for the sons of Ragnar" and she turned again to the two brothers, smiling viciously to Hvitserk. Ivar smirked and let out a small laugh.

*

It was sunrise and Freya and Hvitserk were still in bed in their tent. She woke up and stretched and Hvitserk woke up just after her, they had been camped somewhere in Ecbert's old reign for a while then, they had been moving towards York but they were not in a rush, the Saxons were still too weak to gather an army strong and large enough to fight them.

"Good morning" she said and as she smiled to him, she turned around to get dressed, "Oh, wait" he said with a sleepy voice and he dragged her to him to kiss her, she went on top of him and kept kissing. Ubbe came in as they were about to have sex, "Wasn't last night enough?" he told them off; Freya got up, grinned at Ubbe and, still naked, crossed the tent to get her clothes, the oldest of the brother looked at her, not worried anymore Bjorn could chop his head off, "All you have to do is not listen" she teased him. Ubbe smiled to her and then looked at his brother, "You are a lucky man" he said talking about Freya.