Jay (REQUEST)

Requested by unicornloverb via Tumblr

JAY

'Hello my beautiful Jay,' y/n says, climbing into my car and blowing me a kiss.

I feel my cheeks blush at y/n's compliment and fortunately for me, y/n's eyes were glued to their phone and not on my face. y/n and I had been friends since kindergarten, and over the years like a cliche I found myself wanting to be more than just friends.

I pull away from the airport and take a deep breath, 'how was your flight?'

y/n grunts, 'some kid kicked my seat all the way from New York.'

While I moved to Vegas y/n moved to New York to pursue photography, but we still kept in touch and took turns visiting one another. I knew y/n wasn't really happy in New York and I had a solution to their problem.

I clench the steering wheel, 'you should move out here y/n. I mean you do more work on this coast, that was no more kids kicking your seat.'

I feel y/n look over at me and I keep my attention on the road, knowing their e/c eyes would suck me in and probably cause an accident, I loved their eyes.

'Where would I stay?' they reply.

'With me of course, I have plenty of room and you do like the house,' I reply calmly.

y/n clicks their tongue, 'I could be convinced I just need an additional incentive, Jay.'

'What kind of incentive?' I question, genuinely confused.

y/n laughs, 'you'll figure it out I hope. Hey, we missed our turning.'

I nod, 'I need to drop off a couple of hard drives at Zak's because he and Billy are reviewing evidence.'

y/n hums, 'I can thank Zak for giving me all these photography jobs, he's keeping me in the green and gives me an excuse to constantly visit.'

y/n was a great photographer and Zak along with Aaron and Billy knew our past and my current predicament. Zak kept hiring y/n to do publicity shots for his museum whenever he got something new, and y/n even took promo shots for Ghost Adventures, it was his way of giving me opportunities to man up and tell y/n my true feelings.

We pull up outside Zak's and y/n hops out of the car, 'stop daydreaming Jay, you thinking about a girl?'

I snap out of my trance and stare at y/n who sounded like they were joking, but there was a different emotion behind their eyes, 'err no I wasn't, and even if I was there's only room for one girl in my life.'

y/n pouts before turning and walking towards Zak's front door. Why did I feel like I'd said something wrong? Maybe Zak could help me out. I get out of the car and grab the hard drives before jogging after her down the drive, only to find the front door already open.

I enter and Zak leans against the wall in the hallway shaking his head, 'what did you say to y/n? I know a fake smile when I see one.'

I handed him the hard drives and closed the door, 'I asked her to move in with me and she said she needed an incentive that only I could figure out. Then I zoned out and she joked about me thinking about a girl, then she pouted when I told her there was only one girl in my life,' I whisper, keeping my voice low.

Zak chuckles, 'you two have been sending mixed signals for years. You're just as blind as one another, everyone else can see what's going on apart from you two.'

I tilt my head, 'I don't want to risk our friendship, but I can't keep this hidden anymore Zak. Also, what am I blind to?'

Zak pats me on the shoulder, 'when I've worked with y/n at the museum I find ways to bring you up, and when I don't they find a way to bring you up in conversation. It's safe to say the feelings are mutual Jay, I don't know how many more opportunities I can give you before y/n gets suspicious.'

I open my mouth to reply but no words come out.

'Go into the garden and I'll send y/n out there, the two of you aren't allowed back in until one of you confesses,' Zak says, standing his ground, before disappearing.

Keeping what Zak told me fresh in my mind I head through his kitchen and outside. I had to man up. I sit down on one of the deck chairs when I hear the double doors slide open and y/n clear their throat, 'Zak said you had something to tell me, Jay.'

I gulp and pat the chair next to me, 'I saw the look in your eye when I spoke about one girl, that girl is you y/n and has been for years. I don't think my heart can take watching you throw away your happiness for people who don't love you.'

y/n gasps and sits down opposite me, 'do you love me, Jay?'

I run my fingers through my hair, 'yes I do. Is that bad?'

y/n shakes their head, 'no because I love you. So we've both been pining like idiots for years, huh?'

When y/n put it like that I can't help but laugh at the stupidity, and y/n soon joins in with me.

'Is that the incentive you spoke about in the car by any chance?' I ask, wiping a tear away from too much laughter.

y/n snorts, 'yes, you got it a lot faster than I expected. If you'll still have me, I'd love to move in with you. Besides I've accepted a new job that requires me to move out here.'

I bite my lip, 'what job? Since when?'

y/n motions back at the house, 'Zak offered me the photographer job on the show. I'm guessing it was a Zak shaped bird who lit the fire under you, right?'

I nod, 'that would be correct, I never expected to take relationship advice off him.'

y/n gets up and moves to sit next to me on my chair, 'my mum is going to be thrilled when I bring you home as my significant other for the first time, instead of a boy who also happens to be a friend.'

y/n leans their head on my shoulder, and I rest my head on theirs happy at the outcome. Zak never mentioned hiring y/n for the show, but now there was no excuse for y/n not to be in my life. We had a lot of memories as friends, now we'd have to make new memories as a couple.