Iwa 2041 remember Oik's mom? 36

Iwa 36

It could just be me, but I keep forgetting who Maeko is so if you have forgotten too, she's the brown haired southern guard who Iwa was close to when he was like twelve or whatever.

It's been five days since I told Oikawa what happened all those years ago. Ever since then he's been different. He seems hurt. He still laughs and talks with the four of us, but the moment it's just us two he becomes quieter. I know that I'm the reason for it and that hurts more than I thought it would. I had basically told him straight to his face that I didn't trust him. I want to trust him, I really do, but he bears a weird resemblance to Maeko. That and I hadn't told him everything that happened in the past.

The reason we know the plan was to kill the royal family was because by some miracle we managed to capture one of their men. I had told this to Oikawa, but not what else he said. As he sat in prison he would mutter, "I'm sorry your majesty", or "Forgive me your majesty." I always thought he was talking about my parents, but then he mumbled a name. A name that didn't belong to either of my parents. The name was Amaterasu, which means the sun goddess. The first person that came to my head was the Queen of Nekoma, a kingdom just to the west of Aoba Johsai. Only Kitagawa and a mostly unnamed kingdom between them. A lot of their land was quite hot and dry, which would fit the meaning of the name well.

I unfortunately do not know the given name of any queen other than my mother. I'd ask Oikawa, but I can tell the mention of his mother makes him uneasy and uncomfortable. Whenever she is mentioned he reminds me of myself when a certain female guard enters the conversation. Of course being Oikawa he has that perfect shield up, always masking true emotions, but I notice the way his fist clench.

As Oikawa entered my mind, my brain flooded my memories. I can't be sure that Oikawa doesn't have a role to play in what happened. I want to believe he doesn't. That he in fact is just a prince who puts up a mask for his mother. For some reason my heart aches more. The memory of that day, when he was asking me to let him into my heart. My heart that I had closed off so long ago. He pressed me to let him help. And I had told him. But not everything.

At least that's what I've been telling myself. That's what I told him and Matsun. Makki knows though, and I swear he gives me disappointed looks every now and then. He thinks that I should tell them. He thinks that we can trust them completely. That there is nothing to worry about. But then again he's always been stronger. More trusting and compassionate. But I can't do that. I won't let something happen again. Too many people died because I trusted the wrong people. I will protect this kingdom, even if it means pushing Oikawa away. Even if it causes a little pain for the both of us.

After training with Makki, I walk through the halls. I'm looking for Oikawa. My mother had wanted to speak to us both, and I thought it easier if I went and found the other prince. I was in the east wing which I was rarely ever down this way, due to it being reserved mostly for guests. Making my way to Oikawa's parents room I heard the low murmuring of voices. Arriving I noticed that the door was ajar, leaving just enough room for me to peak inside.

Inside Oikawa and his parents were sitting on a couch, the prince sitting between the two of them. The king had a face that almost looked bored, while the other two wore matching scowls. Chills running down my spine I watched as his mother spoke. Her words were two quiet for me to make out but the tone was obvious. She was mad about something, Though that was painfully clear from her expression.

Out of nowhere the other prince jumped up almost hitting his father in the process. "I did it, it's done. I did exactly what you asked and now it feels like my heart is collapsing in on itself."

"Looks like we have a guest." My heart stops for a second when I realize that Oikawa's father has spotted me but the other two don't turn nor seem surprised.