Chapter 19

Niall's POV

I moved my mouth against hers, but when I realized she wasn't moving I pulled away, staring wide-eyed at her.

Skylar's mouth was slightly open, her cheeks red, and her eyes just as wide as mine. "What brought that on?" she asked warily.

I opened my mouth to say something, when I realized what had just happened and shut it again.

She didn't kiss me back.

My heart sank. "Please don't go," I begged, finally remembering why I'd run after her in the first place. "We all want you here."

Skylar's lip curved slightly. "Mmm-hmm."

"Please," I said quietly. "I can't lose you again."

"I can see that," she said finally. "I guess you learned the hard way, hmm?" 

I flushed, shame-faced. "Yeah."

"Did Ashlyn tell you to go after me?" Skylar asked coolly.

"Yeah, but I was surprised you left,' I admitted. "I would've gone after you in about 2 minutes." But by then...

"I would've been gone," Skylar said, finishing my unanswered statement.

"I know. So..." I swallowed. "Will you come back?" 

Skylar hesitated. "I don't know. Why don't you explain to me what brought the kiss on," she said, arching an eyebrow.

"Well, I had to do something to get you do stay," I admitted, flushing a brilliant cherry red.

Skylar studied me, stepping even closer than we already were. Which was really close.

"And that something was kissing me?" she asked, smirking.

If possible, I turned even redder. "Well, you were pretty worked up and I had to, uh, get your mind off of things."

"By distracting me?" Skylar's blue eyes glinted. "Nice touch, Leppy."

I groaned. "I was hoping you'd forget that stupid nickname."

There was a bit of a silence as our eyes met.

"Why do you want me to stay, Leppy?" she asked quietly. "And be truthful this time. I know it has something to do with Wes and Keaton and four days."

I smiled wryly. "You're not wrong."

She leaned forward. Our noses were brushing. "You can tell me anything, you know that, right?"

I nodded. Shit, how do I tell her this?

Skylar's POV

I leaned forward so that our noses were brushing. I could see the small wrinkles under his eyes, like he hadn't slept a wink all night. His normally brilliant sky blue eyes were dull and faded.

What was the matter?

I took a deep breath. "You can tell me anything, you know that, right?"

Niall nodded, but didn't say anything.

I waited about a minute before saying, "Okay, when I said that, I meant for you to start talking."

Niall laughed sadly. "It's not the easiest thing to say out loud."

I glanced around. People were staring, and pointing. Probably whispering that it was Niall Horan or something.

I grabbed his hand, not thinking exactly, and mumbled. "Let's get back to the hotel."