An Impasta

Kai's POV

Entering the Noodlehouse, I let myself sniff in the fragrance of the best kind of noodles. Jay walked confidently to our group, past a few tables of other customers. I pulled my hood down a bit more and followed, feeling their gazes burn into my back. We sat down, Jay next to Nya and myself next to Zane. The both was large, with Cole, Nya and Jay on one side and Lloyd, Dom, Zane and myself on the other. 

Skylar walked up from behind my side, sliding herself in beside Jay. "Hey guys!"

"Hey Skylar!" Jay eagerly spoke back. "Have the others already ordered? I would love a chicken chow mien!" 

Skylar winked back. "Let me guess. Extra broccoli?" 

Nya rolled her eyes and elbowed Cole next to her. "You guys! We come here to much!" Everyone sort of chuckled and I wondered how often they HAD come here. I hadn't left my room most days, and the days I did I quickly snuck to the kitchen to have a bite to eat. I hadn't really participated in anything. 

I felt a twang of guilt. Sure, I did miss out on a lot, but at the same time, I was fine.

I was fine. 

Skylar's eyes met mine. "Hey Kai." I picked my head up a bit. 

"Hey." The rest of the ninja started joking around as Lloyd did a mimic of what Jay looked like slurping in his noodles. 

Skylar motioned toward me. "Haven't seen you in a while." She paused, looking around. I swear she glared at a few customers who were trying to stare at me behind my back. Her red hair was pulled back into a ponytail and for a second I couldn't remember why I have never asked her out. She said something else.

"Hmm what?"

She giggled. "I just asked you what you would like to eat. The others have already ordered." She gestured toward the rest of the ninja, who were all waiting patiently and watching me with small smiles and a few winks on their faces.

"Oh. Um. I'll just have what Nya is having." Nya nodded at me, knowing that even as kids we had the same taste in food. I haven't been here in a while and I knew whatever she ordered was the safest bet that I would receive something that I liked. Skylar bobbed her head.

"Another Ramen Noodle coming up!" She left the table and with a flutter of her apron she was gone.

"Oooh!" Cole oohed toward me, reaching all the way across the table to bump my shoulder. He eyeroll from Nya. "Does Kai still have the hots for Skylar?" 

I clenched my teeth and glared back at the black ninja. "No." 

There was a silence and a moment of hesitation with everyone glancing uncomfortably around. Cole spoke up again. "That means yes guys!"

Everyone ignored my growls as they celebrated. Even Nya made a comment to Domonique how she was so ready for a sister-in-law.

"Stop!" I hissed, placing my fist on the table with a small amount of force. The water cups on the table did little bumps and Nya reached over and steadied Coles. "I do not have a crush. Besides, she will never want to go out with a face like this."

Zane placed his hand on my shoulder. "Beauty is not skin deep, Kai. It is really the personality inside that counts." Everyone nodded around the table.

I gave a hoarse scoff. "Ya. My personality is amazing right now." The silence settled over the group like a damp blanket, nobody even daring to breathe. I knew I shouldn't have come. This was a mistake.

I was just about to get up from my seat and leave this stupid place, when Skylar came back from inside the kitchen. "Alright, Zane! I have your wanton noodles and Cole, your spaghetti. Dom honey, did you order the lasagna rolls with or without green onion? I forgot." Not noticing the tense atmosphere, Skylar began placing food down in front of us.

Everyone seemed happy for the intrusion. "With," Domonique beamed at her, a smile growing quickly on her stupid cute face. "I know they don't add much taste but they-"

"-just make the whole dish look better. Ya, we know," I grumbled, fiddling around with my glass of water. I poked the straw in and out, trying to see if I could catch the water. I looked up to find Zane's eyes scanning mine. They held curiosity. The rest of the group was looking my way.

Domonique's eyes were wide as she glanced from me to Nya, who was narrowing her own eyes at me. Apparently Jay had filled her and Lloyd in with the situation. I knew that I was stuck. I had literally stated a fact about Dom that I could possibly know if I had come to the restaurant with them more times, but there was no way I could have just known that by staying in my room.

Lloyd and Jay quickly changed the topic, catching Nya's attention. "Sensei thinks we should start early morning training an hour earlier," Lloyd distracted. "He seems to be thinking we are slacking off."

"Slacking!" Jay shrieked. "I have been working my butt off day and night for that guy and he hasn't even noticed!" The other ninja also reacted to this lie. Skylar was bringing more food out and I slid my glass out of the way so she could place my hot plate in front of me. She squeezed my shoulder before heading back into the kitchen. 

We all dug in. 

Half way through I noticed Domonique's lasagna was delivered, but there were no green onions on top. Before I could open my stupid mouth and make a dumb observation, Lloyd stated it. "Hey Dom! You don't have any green onions."

Dom laughed. "Ya! That's okay. She probably forgot. I don't care." She scooped another bite full. 

I shrugged. "No, you asked for them. I'll grab them for you."

She shook her head. "I'm fine Kai."

I stood from my seat. "It's okay. I am on the outside anyway." She gave a smile of thanks and I made my way to the kitchen. I knocked before entering, even though in the past I had been in the kitchen many times before. 

I walked in and saw Skylar on the left, talking to one of the new employees. I approached and was just about to say something when I heard my name in the conversation.

"I know it is Kai. I do. He just looks so...different. Even his motions are a bit off. Like the way he walked in, and the way he looked at his fellow ninja. I don't know if it is because he looks different, but I can't imagine how the ninja are able to forgive and forget! They for sure have, but I don't know if I can do that. I mean, look at him!" Skylar turned around to point through the doors, probably toward the table where I was sitting at. Her co-worker shrank back to cut some vegetables, obviously not wanting to be part of the conversation that she knew was going to happen. 

She gasped, her finger ending up pointing at me. "Kai! I-I didn't expect you to be back here!" Her eyes darted to her co-worker who ignored her look of help. She took a step back from me, pretending to straighten her apron.

I narrowed my eyes at her, clenching my fists but forcing myself to talk in a clear, calm voice. "You never have had a problem with it in the past." 

She nervously smiled. "No, it is no problem." 

I scoffed at her fakeness and grabbed the onion that the co-worker shakily was cutting. Then I turned on my heal and headed back out of the kitchen. I heard her call my name but I ignored it and slammed the green onion down on the table. The group jumped and looked at me, Jay having noodles overflowing his mouth. 

"Here is the onion. Have a good dinner."

I turned and walked to the door, throwing it open and stomping out into the city.

How dare she do that. How dare she treat me like I am the same person, but then behind my back comment on my new looks and the change in my personality. If she had a problem with me being there, she should have said something instead of making me feel like a fool. She talked about me behind my back.

I screamed in rage.

FIRE NINJA OUT