¹², A CLOSE FRIENDSHIP

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter twelve; A Close Friendship
" Did your worries not go floating off along with your boat? "

chapter twelve; A Close Friendship" Did your worries not go floating off along with your boat? "

  ELSPETH  LIENS WAS already quite tired of trying to make new connections in France. Everyone was lovely, but they spoke far too much of drama and rumors for her liking. 

  So when Greer told her that Sebastian was out drinking by the river with Mary, Elspeth found a sort of thrill bloom in her stomach as she snuck away from the Harvest festival.

  "Elspeth!"

  The woman stopped, curtseying respectfully to Francis.

  "Wasn't expecting to see you out here, Your—"

  "Just Francis, please," The man said, casting his glance down, "Come, let us enjoy the festival."

  "Oh, I've grown tired of it," Elspeth laughed honestly, "I'm going to retrieve Sebastian and check on Mary, Kenna told me she's been in a mood all day and is quite cross with her."

  Francis felt his heart fall further than it already had. Elspeth Liens cared so deeply for the both of them, he wanted nothing but to stop her from heartache and agony.

  "I understand they can become boring," He smiled lightly, "Perhaps we can find Demetre and create our own kind of fun."

  "As tempting as getting into trouble with the future king and a nobleman sounds," Elspeth smiled, "I'd really like to check on Mary, I'm quite worried—"

  Francis stuttered as she began to walk, the girl smiling once she set eyes on Sebastian and Mary— the former of which was standing.

  "You shouldn't—"

  "Is there something the matter, Your— Francis?" Elspeth questioned, turning to the man.

  And he sighed deeply, shaking his head before making a decision.

  "Mary and I got into an argument and I came to apologize," He admitted, "Olivia being here has caused problems between the two of us, and I lost my temper. When I came across them. . ."

  Elspeth's heart dropped.

  "They what, Francis?"

  "They were rather close," He spoke in a hushed tone, "It's just a bit concerning to see them. . . close with no supervision. . ."

  Elspeth nodded silently.

  "If you need anything, Elspeth, anything at all. . ."

  "Thank you for telling me, Francis," She spoke honestly, "Your mother asked for me to join your family for lunch tomorrow afternoon, perhaps I could use a few pointers on how to survive both your mother and father's close watch."