⁰⁴, THE HOUSE OF MEDICI

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter four; The House Of Medici
When you know, you know. "

  ELSPETH WAS PLEASED, despite her empathy getting the better of her and feeling Lola's sadness and Mary's fear as if they were her own

  ELSPETH WAS PLEASED, despite her empathy getting the better of her and feeling Lola's sadness and Mary's fear as if they were her own. She was happy that Lola and Mary seemed on better terms as when the ladies entered Mary's chambers, Lola was fast asleep in her bed. The girl had revealed that they'd remained awake, taking about Colin, before Lola had succumbed to the exhaustion grief had provided.

  The girls walked to their own privately provided breakfast in their nightdresses, reassured of the unfolding chaos by being unified, as Scots and friends once again.

  "The French king and queen said Colin's attack on me was an English plot. But Colin told Lola it was someone here, highly placed at French court. All I know is it had to be someone opposed to Scotland's alliance with France and my engagement to Francis. England wants my country and my crown. I need the alliance with France to protect Scotland from the English, and I need time before there's any chance of Francis marrying me."

  "I spoke with Lord Demetre yesterday," Elspeth informed, making Kenna's eyebrows crawl to her hairline, "He's in the king's favor, which gives him an advantage higher than any rank. . . But he seemed. . . worried. When I told him what Colin said. That we should be careful, especially when in the castle."

  "He didn't name anyone either?"

  Elspeth shook her head regretfully.

  "Do you trust him?" Aylee asked lightly, turning all eyes to the girl gently picking up a pastry.

  "I have no reason not to," Elspeth breathed out, turning to her friends, though her eyes landed solely on Mary, "He told me he'd never harm you. And he seems to want only all of our safety."

  "I assume that has something to do with you in particular," Kenna noted with a sly smile.

  "Or, he's an honorable man who doesn't want to see innocent lives ruined or taken."

  "Either way. . ." Mary spoke, her eyes drifting to the world beyond a window, "I won't have time if I don't figure out who's against me."

  Mary had left with Francis and his youngest brother, Charlie, to meet a future bride. But this wasn't what was weighing on Elspeth's mind after watching the king and queen weigh this decision— what dug into her heart and made a permanent place there was the queen's comment made towards Sebastian after Charlie had requested he join them.

  That not only was Sebastian not his true brother but that his very presence was disrespectful.

  "Sebastian!"

  The man halted his strong stride to put as much distance between the throne room and himself only for a familiar voice calling his name. And there was no disappointment as he turned to find Elspeth Liens departing from Mary's fellow ladies to meet him.