⁶⁶, THE TRUTH COMES OUT

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter sixty-six; The Truth Comes Out
" You were never supposed to carry the world on your back, only ever explore it. "

  "I'VE NO INTEREST in your daughter's dowry

"I'VE NO INTEREST in your daughter's dowry."

Demetre was still attempting to get used to the kind expressions of Rowan and Malcolm. It almost unnerved him, and it didn't help that every time he looked at Rowan, he heard Elspeth's words of 'honey catches more flies than vinegar'.

"Of course," Malcolm said, shuffling his papers, "And yet, it will be transferred to you once the two of you are wed."

"Sir, I. . ."

"I understand you are the sole member of House Langlois," Malcolm stated, "I'm sure you are taken care of financially, Demetre. But listen, if you are with my Ellie because you love her, you understand her free spirit. Her determined nature."

Demetre only nodded.

"Then accept her dowry. Place it into a new account, one under your name," Malcolm continued, "But only have Elspeth withdraw or deposit funds into it."

"Her account?"

"Not legally," Malcolm shrugged, glancing at Rowan, "But in every other meaning. Yes."

"No bankers would question her?"

"I'm not sure how French bankers do business," Rowan laughed lightly, "But I've never had an issue with such a thing."

Demetre stared at them in awe and wonder.

"I wanted my wife to be with me because she wanted to," Malcolm said gently, "Not because she, and everything she owned, belonged to me. . . Of course, there will be things to be shared. But it hurts no one for women to posses their own property. Their own funds and lives. They, too, are people."

Demetre wondered why the world could not adopt that way of thinking. Perhaps men in power knew if given the same chances, they would all be outsmarted by the women who worked in the dark.

Even if he alone couldn't change the world, Demetre was glad Malcolm Liens was trying to change his small part of it.

"I couldn't agree more," Demetre finally said.

Malcom smiled, tidying up the paperwork and passing it over to Demetre.

"If you have any questions, please write us, but most information pertaining to Elspeth's dowry and the Duchy are enclosed here," Malcolm informed, looking to his wife, "We have one more thing to give you, Demetre."

Rowan moved quickly, crossing the room and opening a sideboard to collect a small package. She held it gently, with great care, before passing it to Demetre.

"A family heirloom," Rowan explained, "Of course, you may have your own ring you wish to give to Ellie, but now you've got options. This was my mother's before she passed; Hans wanted to saved for Elspeth's betrothed. He brought it when he travelled to France to meet that Sebastian boy, but he never could give it away. I suppose Hans knew before any of us did. Even the two of you."