⁵⁰, INEVITABLE

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter fifty; Inevitable
" You have grown flowers in the darkest parts of me, painted masterpieces on my heart, and become my light. . . "

  SEBASTIAN WAS THE one to escort Elspeth back to the Langlois wing of the castle

  SEBASTIAN WAS THE one to escort Elspeth back to the Langlois wing of the castle. Demetre didn't have to explain for Elspeth to know he had to remain behind with Francis, the new King of France.

  And she didn't have to explain for Sebastian to know she was in pain.

  "Is there anything I can do?"

  "What?"

  Elspeth peered up at Sebastian as they walked, the man himself already glancing at her out of the corner of his eye.

  "You are upset."

  "I'm only worried for you and Francis."

  "Forgive me if I don't believe that, Ellie."

  She frowned, allowing Sebastian to open the door for her before she entered the wing.

  "Do you want to know the truth?" She said, turning to face him, "Why I am so. . . upset?"

  "Always."

  "I told Demetre I loved him."

  Sebastian felt his lips turn down as tears shone in her eyes.

  "And I realized how terrifying it was to fall in love with someone without knowing whether they feel the same way," She admitted, her voice wavering, "He has been strapped with duties since he returned, and the words came out the second I had time, and then the Naval Display. . . he disappeared, my first time seeing him since I said it was moments ago. . . clearly he did not respond then either. . . I understand why, but. . . it does not make it hurt any less."

  In all reality, Demetre had every reason not to answer her immediately. He'd hardly been given a chance, and Elspeth knew she shouldn't let that be something that changed them.

  "It is terrifying, but it is wonderful."

  Elspeth wiped a tear as Sebastian spoke.

  "Give him time to answer you," He said softly. "You asked Kenna and I to give each other a chance. I ask you to do the same of him."

  Elspeth nodded, allowing Sebastian to hug her before sending her off to her chambers.

  Where she lay awake the entire night, tossing and turning.

  Elspeth Liens found out about the Black Plague along with the rest of the castle. Which was rather curious considering the early information she always seemed to be privy to.

  She hadn't seen Demetre since the night prior, but after hearing Mary's announcement about the sickness, found Kenna and Greer in the crowd.

  "Has she spoken to either of you about this?" Elspeth said quickly.