²⁰, FALLING INTO FAITH

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter twenty; Falling Into Faith
I have faith in you, Elspeth Liens, and I am asking that you have faith in me. "

  THOSE IN ELSPETH Lien's inner circle were deeply concerned with her behavior following the approval of Mary's response to Henry's ultimatum

  Once it was solidified that Henry would depart in an attempt to legitimize Sebastian so that he and Mary may wed and rule France and Scotland, Elspeth Liens was a very difficult woman to find.

  Not just for Kenna, whose own world was being turned upside down, or Sebastian who craved only her company, or for Mary who wanted nothing more than to find another option that saved lives while keeping one of her dearest friends happy. No, Elspeth was difficult to find for even the greatest hunter in all of France, who swore he'd scoured the castle top to bottom at least three times, and every servant who went rushing off to deliver a message from Catherine De Medici who now sat behind a locked door, only to return with overwhelming fear for failure to find the recipient.

  As if Elspeth had turned into a ghost, a tall tale of the French castle, people spoke and searched but could not find a glimpse of the woman.

  Until Demetre Langlois, red-faced and out of breath, stumbled into the stables.

  Elspeth had traded her Parisian dresses for a Scottish one. It was faded, now a blue so pale it almost looked cream, the lace that lined the bottom was dirtied with mud and scuffed to nearly falling off, the cuffs of her sleeves that rested only three-quarters of the way down her arms were fraying to match. Aside from these small lace details, the dress was a plain one, modest and forgiving, with no corset to be seen; the kind a child would wear, for it would no doubt be ruined before supper.

  Her pale yellow hair was down in curls, half of it tied out of her face with a stringy ribbon, and upon closer inspection, Demetre noted the tangles that plagued the style, as well as her dirt-stained fingertips.

"Petal, everyone has been searching for you."

  Elspeth did not turn her head at his words. She continued the monotonous task of brushing a horse down, the very one she'd taken on every ride she'd had in France. A pale brown mare, with a gentle demeanor but impressive sprint; the horse did not have a name prior to Elspeth, but the woman had been fondly referring to her as 'Camille'.

  "Well, I have been found," She said quietly, "No need to worry."

  Demetre stepped further into the stables, allowing the door to close behind him.

  "I have been searching for you."

  Elspeth did not turn her head, but her hands slowed to a halt, resting on the spine of the animal that was patiently standing for her.