⁰¹, WELCOME TO FRENCH COURT

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter one; Welcome To French Court
I don't need to try to leave an impression on anyone. "

  "ELSPETH, WHERE IS your head these days?"

  Kenna giggled at Greer's question, or perhaps it was Elspeth's startled jump that pulled out the laughter.

  "I apologize," Elspeth sighed, turning away from the carriage window, "It's been so long since we've been here— I forgot how beautiful it was."

  "Good to know she's still got the words of a poet and the eyes of a painter," Lola remarked with a smile, "I suppose you'll go searching for an easel the second we arrive."

  "Forget an easel, we'll be hunting for husbands," Kenna laughed, squeezing Elspeth's arm eagerly, "Come on, five lovely ladies at French court— we'll find men in no time."

  "Elspeth won't ever settle down," Aylee disagreed, "Too wild for anyone to tame her ways."

  "I am not wild," Elspeth disagreed, smoothing her dress, "My heart is— and every boy wishes to tame it. If there's a man willing to set his heart free alongside mine, that is when things may change."

  "You're terribly lucky," Greer noted, "No pressure to marry for money or title."

  "I know," The girl said, tightening her lips as she patted Greer's hand, "But how lucky for you all— you get my help finding husbands."

  "If they don't fall in love with the notorious Elspeth Liens," Aylee teased, making Elspeth laugh lightly.

  Elspeth knew her friends had this fairytale idea that she would be the first to find love, after all, she easily had the most suitors in Scotland. But what they didn't know, because Elspeth had never fully admitted it, was the difficulty in finding a husband wasn't in other men at all. It was in Elspeth. 

  It was in wanting true love, not a good-enough one. It was in wanting to be an artist, a scholar, and her own woman before wanting to be a wife.

  Before Elspeth got too far into her own mind, the carriage slowed to a halt and the door was opened to reveal the castle they hadn't been to since childhood.

  Elspeth was the last one to exit, but she quickly joined her friends in becoming enraptured with the castle. It was grand and beautiful, a breathtaking sight no matter how often it came into one's vision.

  "There's Mary," Aylee announced with a smile, bringing everyone's attention to the carriage arriving seconds after theirs.

  The girls rushed to meet their friend, who'd grown into a beautiful young woman herself but halted once realizing their courtly manners. The five curtseyed to the young queen, but once Mary held out her arms they rejoiced in a group hug.