⁰⁹, A MICHAELMAS PROPOSAL

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter nine; A Michaelmas Proposal
" You don't go where I can't follow. "

  THE NEWS CAME early the next morning

  THE NEWS CAME early the next morning. Sebastian's fever had broken— he'd be bedridden for a while, considering his wounds, but he would live. Sickness would not take him from Elspeth.

  And with Sebastian's new burst of energy, he encouraged Elspeth to spend some well-needed time with her friends, instead of remaining at his bedside.

  "Well, I would never know there was a costume banquet in an hour with the faces I see."

  Elspeth nervously fiddled with the lilac mask she held at Mary's comment.

  "How can you be so cheerful knowing how soon we're leaving?" Lola asked.

  "Should I spend my last hours in France with moping and tears?" Mary retorted.

  "Don't forget pining and regret," Kenna added.

  "So, have you made a decision, Elspeth?" Mary questioned, smiling as she held up a mask that covered the top half of her face, "You know you have my blessing."

  "A choice— what choice?"

  "And Mary's blessing— Elspeth, you're not!"

  "What?" Aylee questioned urgently at Kenna and Greer's gaping faces, "What's going on?"

  "What else could it mean," Kenna grinned, nudging the girl. "Our little Ellie is smitten enough to be thinking of marriage."

  "Smitten yes, but. . ." Elspeth sighed, plucking through the bin of accessories, "What of you? I can't stay behind while you all leave— my duties are to Mary, and our friendships, we've only just all gotten back together, there's no way I could break that now."

  "Elle," Lola spoke seriously, "If you have Mary's blessing, that says more than enough for all of us. We'd be nothing but happy to see you marry a man you love."

  "It's lucky in court," Greer agreed, "You can't risk losing this to stay with us a while longer. Not to mention, we'll all be married off at some point— this won't last forever."

  Elspeth frowned at the idea, though this was never Greer's intention. It was just easier for the Liens girl to forget— most noblewomen had duties. And the main one; finding a suitable husband. 

  The thought slipped from her mind all too easily, that her life would not be spent with her friends, in court, traveling the world. Every one of them would settle down with a husband and a family, and inevitably, she would, too.