⁰³, IN A ROOM AWAY FROM THE WORLD

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter three; In A Room Away From The World
Tread lightly, Scot. You never know who is listening. "

  ELSPETH'S MIND WAS still buzzing from her short-lived adventure with Demetres as she made way to Mary's room the following morning, where she'd called her ladies to join her

  ELSPETH'S MIND WAS still buzzing from her short-lived adventure with Demetres as she made way to Mary's room the following morning, where she'd called her ladies to join her. He hadn't opened up, per say, Elspeth could tell he was still a locked box of a rather interesting past, but it did leave her wondering.

  Perhaps this was his intention. To show her just enough that Elspeth got over the bump in the road that was their first introduction, but not too much as to where she'd gotten him all figured out in less than twenty-four hours.

  And Elspeth wasn't sure if she liked this or hated it, after all, no one had ever been a worthy opponent of this game back in Scotland, but it seemed her rolling thoughts were put to an end once she arrived and Greer revealed why they were gathered.

  Collin, the same boy Lola loved, the same one that had followed her to France from Scotland, was found in Mary's bed— his intentions anything but pure.

  "How could this happen?" Aylee questioned, worry seeping out of her like sunshine through the curtains, "Where were the guards? Why didn't they stop him?"

  "I hope Mary did if they didn't," Greer spoke, "They'll question her virtue."

  Elspeth had her own opinions on the matter of virtue, despite still having her own. She found it more of a selfish ideal, that a woman should choose when it was right to sleep with a man and not be held down by a concept that made them feel more like property than people. But, the woman also had a brain and knew when it came to royals, virtue was an entirely different subject matter, holding nearly as much weight as the blood that ran through their veins.

  "If she's not a virgin, she'll never be the queen of France, and our chances at court will be over."

  "You don't know what happened, any of you," Lola said finally, tears lightly decorating her cheeks at the news.

  "Tell me," Mary announced her presence, standing tall as she entered the room.

  "I've spoken to him. He's being held. I bribed a guard. Colin's a good man; a boy still."

  "And what did he say? What possible defense could he have given you?"

  "He said he was forced," Lola said, "He wouldn't say by whom. He couldn't, he was so afraid. But he said there are people, powerful people, behind this, and he had no choice."

  "What people?" Kenna uttered the question heavy in all of their minds.

  "Here, in the castle. He wouldn't risk saying more."

  Elspeth felt a pit form in her stomach. Who would try and rob someone of such an intimate thing? Queen or not, the idea repulsed Elspeth down to her bones.