⁴⁸, A NAVAL SPECTACLE

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter forty-eight; A Naval Spectacle
I'll shout and snivel, with my head stuck out the side of the carriage my husband hauls me off in. "

  ELSPETH WAS TOO rattled to sleep, but it seemed to work in her favor

  ELSPETH WAS TOO rattled to sleep, but it seemed to work in her favor. Sebastian met with her to explain what they had discovered about the Darkness, and informed her Kenna had left for the home they were to call their own.

  "Why are you still here?"

  "I have to go to Visegrad. To end the Darkness, once and for all--"

  "You sent your wife off so that you may slay a beast."

  Sebastian's shoulders sagged.

  "Ellie. . ."

  "Do you think you have to prove your worth?" She questioned honestly, "That you have to slay every beast and save every person to be worthy of. . . anything?"

  Sebastian's brows pinched in pain. 

  "I loved you as you were," Elspeth said after a long moment, "I believe Kenna has grown to love you, too. Remember that, Sebastian."

  He only stared at her. 

  Sebastian De Poitiers needed to hear it, no matter how much it hurt.

  "I can't join your hunt," She breathed out, her posture relaxing, "Demetre wants to keep a close eye on me with your father's madness growing. He's not yet scolded me for venturing into the Blood Wood but I have a sneaking suspicion that conversation will arise soon enough."

  "You? Scolded?"

  "Well, I never said it would stop me, only that it would happen."

  And Sebastian smiled, against all odds. He smiled because Elspeth stared up at him with her wild hair tucked into a braid, her eyes squinting in the morning sun, face fresh of any makeup, ears and neck free of jewelry.

  He smiled because sometimes it was so easy to forget Elspeth's upbringing was any different than his own.

  "Travel safely," She sighed, "I'm tired of sending you boys off, you know."

  "What will you do when you marry, and you're the one we have to send off?"

  "I'll shout and snivel, with my head stuck out the side of the carriage my husband hauls me off in," Elspeth grinned.

  "That is a sight I cannot wait to see."

  She only laughed, hugging Sebastian and bidding him farewell.

  And as she watched him walk away her joking nature dissipated. Right about now she wished she was travelling to Visegard with Sebastian to hunt the Darkness. It seemed less daunting than the day Demetre had planned.