³⁶, TOGETHER AGAIN

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter thirty-six; Together Again
" But entering a man's chambers without so much as a knock. . . "

CATHERINE DID, IN fact, have Elspeth's new chambers ready by the time she would sleep that night

CATHERINE DID, IN fact, have Elspeth's new chambers ready by the time she would sleep that night. Briefly, Elspeth had wondered if it was an exaggeration, but the moment servants swarmed to move her things, she knew it had been the truth.

  So, that night, Elspeth stared at an empty room that had held the beginning of her life in France, before departing deeper into the castle to a residence far less temporary.

  Demetre was waiting for her, standing in front of a grandiose double door.

  "This is an intimidating sight," Elspeth breathed out as she approached.

  "More space," Demetre shrugged, "Why would that be intimidating?"

  Elspeth wrung her hands as Demetre turned the handle, pushing the door open for her.

  "This is why."

  Elspeth's words rang out in the room at least twice the size of the one she previously resided in.

  The furniture looked small in here, a grand four-poster bed fit with fresh powder blue linen, a new chaise, a full-length mirror, and a vanity large enough to sit three. There was a dressing screen, an intricate rug covering half of the floor-- there was a full-sized fireplace in front of a sitting area.

  Elspeth walked deeper into the room, spotting two floor-to-ceiling bookcases on either side of the fireplace, along with two other doorways.

  One led to an extravagant bathing chamber, the tub big enough to fit four people, the other led to a smaller room, filled to the brim with more gowns, jewelry, and shoes than anyone could ever possibly need.

  "Demetre. . ."

  "It was sitting vacantly," He eased as Elspeth returned to the main chamber, "Begging to be inhabited."

  "What. . . why is this not your room?" Elspeth breathed out, "Why was this empty? Mary's chambers aren't even nearly this. . ."

  "Mary's chambers were only ever temporary until she and Francis were wed," Demetre sighed, "Even so, this is not a room to be handed off to anyone who comes to French Court."

  He picked a small piece of lint from the chaise before taking a seat, resting his arm on the back of it.

  "This area of the castle belongs to House Langlois," He informed.

  "How does that happen?" Elspeth questioned, taking a step toward the man.

  "Make enough history," Demetre breathed out a laugh, his posture relaxing for the first time in days, "Being at the right place at the right time. . . We used to have land right at the edge of the castle grounds. A. . . vast expanse of it. Not a Duchy or a town. . . just land. Just for us."