Not Gonna Happen*

Things had been great for a few months now. You had furnished your apartment, and paid both your dad and EZ back. EZ was very reluctant to take the money from you, but you insisted. You didn't want there to be that hanging between you, even if he didn't expect you to pay him back. He stayed with you most nights, and he'd slowly been leaving more stuff at your apartment. Neither of you said it, but you both knew that he was moving in with you. He'd been on several runs, and it was always hard to sleep when he was away. When he was in town, he never stayed in his trailer. He actually hadn't slept in there without you.

You hung out with your girlfriends at least once a week. Sometimes it was dinner, sometimes it was just drinks. EZ insisted that you take that time for yourself. He loved being with you, but it was important that you have a life beyond him and the guys. When he was on runs, he liked knowing you had people to rely on. You'd been so isolated when you were with your ex, and he never wanted you to feel that way. At least once a week, you went to help Felipe in his shop. He always told you that you didn't have to, but it was because of him that you had EZ. EZ loved that you got along with his Pop. It gave him peace of mind when he was gone, because he knew he could count on him to look out for you.

It was on a Thursday afternoon that things got a little complicated. The flirty coworker had gotten a bit more bold as time went on. He hadn't done anything out-right inappropriate, but he made you uncomfortable. EZ hadn't been in to the hospital to see you at work. He was always busy during the day, and he wanted to allow you that space as your own. You loved that he didn't feel the need to insert himself into every aspect of your life, although you wouldn't have minded if he came in.

Your coworker decided on that Thursday to invite you out to dinner. You politely declined, but he didn't seem to like that answer. You told him you had a boyfriend, and that you weren't interested. He told you that he knew you were lying, since your boyfriend had never been in to see you. You felt uneasy with the way he kept pushing, so when you had a free minute, you stepped into the hall to call EZ.

"Hey, cariño. How's your day?"

"Ezekiel..."

"What's wrong, baby?"

You explained the situation to him, and asked if he would come down when your shift was done. You just felt uncomfortable leaving on your own with the way your coworker was pushing it.

"Of course, cariño. I'll let Bish know I'm headed over there now. I love you."

You thanked him and told him you loved him before hanging up. You headed back into the office to finish out the day. There was only about 45 minutes before the end of your shift, and it would take EZ about 20 to get there.

You heard the receptionist shakily greet someone while you were in the lab, then heard EZ say he was there to see you.

"Umm, I'll see if she's free."

She stepped into the lab with a very nervous look on her face as you were cleaning up your station.

"There's someone here to see you. You can't go out there though. It's a Mayan. You won't be safe. I'll call security."

"No need. That's EZ, my boyfriend. And, you know, the Mayans aren't dangerous if you don't give them a reason to be. They are all very sweet."

"You just don't really know them. Everyone knows they are dangerous."

"Look, I appreciate that you are trying to look out for me. But, I'm telling you, I'm safer with them than I am anywhere else."

"But..."

"No. Thank you, but I'm in no danger. Every one of the Mayans would die for me. That's how it works when your dad is the President of the Santo Padre charter and your Padrino is El Padrino. I promise you, I'm safe with them."