Chapter 13

Three days later..

Hero's pov:
I place my mug under the machine and press go. The coffee runs dark, mirroring my every thought from the past couple of days.
The house feels at a loss, as though no matter how hard i try, i can't fill the void that Jo has left behind. It's like the love and happiness has been drained drop by drop until my world is colourless, emotionless. I'm not sure how much longer I can go on like this, and it hasn't even been a week.
When the mug is full, I bring it to my lips and drink some down, not caring about the boiling temperature. I think of how Jo always adds some extra milk from the fridge to cool it down. 'I'm impatient.' She always says.
John is sleeping upstairs and I already feel like this day is going to be worse than the last.
The police have the cctv footage now and have even searched the pub for evidence. They even 'interviewed' Heidi. I doubt they got much out of her, she's a right nutter in my opinion. I know she has nothing to do with Jo disappearing. If she did, we'd all know about it. She's so foolish she'd have blurted it out without realising. To be honest, I wish that were the case. That would make things a whole lot easier.
The hashtag, #findjo has broken out on social media and is blowing up like mad. The cctv footage was released online by the police in case anyone has any information on the guy in the video. Of course, no one has come forward. It's like he's a stranger to everyone on the planet. Everyone I've asked has said they don't even recognise him, and in this town, everyone knows everyone.
The fans are being really supportive in all fairness, I even replied to a few dms as they were so heartwarming. I wouldn't usually, but their kindness shouldn't go unnoticed. It's really helping me to stay positive.
A lot of them have been picking apart the video, offering their own theories and possibilities of what could've happen, sharing them to stories, tagging friends in them- the whole lot. It's unbelievable how far Jo's story has travelled. But as the days go by I'm only becoming more anxious. Scared, even. I hate to say it but I'm losing hope. What if the police don't find her? What if I can't find her?
I push that thought to the back of my mind and finish off the coffee. One thing I have been trying to do is look a bit less like shit. I'm showering and managing to eat at least once a day. Sleeping is harder, especially in our bed, alone, her side of the bed cold and empty. I've let John sleep up in the bed with me rather than in his crib at night time. I was worried at first he could fall off, but he sleeps just inches from my face, and it reminds me how much I love my little boy, and how I have to stay strong for him. His mum may be missing but he needs his Dad. I have to find her for him. I'd never forgive myself if he grew up not knowing who she is. Josephine Fiennes Tiffin is an amazing mum and I want the world to know that. But more importantly, John has to know that. He will see her again. I can just feel it.

...

After dropping John off at Elizabeth's, I leave the car there and decide to walk to the shop. I need the exercise and the fresh air will do me good. I've spent all my time either inside with John or in my car recently. Jo would be telling me off for being glued to the sofa if she were here, and besides, I've always liked walking. It just feels wrong going anywhere without her. However, I know I can do this. The police are doing everything they can- or so they say.
As I'm about to enter the shop, my phone rings. I answer immediately.
'Hello?'
'Hello is this Mr Tiffin?'
'Yeah it is.' I reply, not bothering to correct their mistake.
'This is officer Hopkins. I have some information for you on your wife's disappearance.' The man says, and my heart drops.
'Yes.. yes?!'
'We were able to get her phone fixed and unlocked. And I'm afraid we found something rather odd.'
At first I'm disappointed that it's not some kind of information as to where she could be, but then it clicks. What could they have found on her phone?
'What is it?' I interrogate, growing impatient.
'Her phone was bugged. As in someone was watching her every move, to put it simply. Reading her texts, going through her social media. They knew exactly where she was at all times.'
'What are you saying? That someone was watching her for weeks before she was kidnapped?'
'Possibly. We're certain that there was some kind of wider plot involved. We're looking into it, I assure you, sir.' He says, and I do believe him.
'You may want to have your phone checked to see if you're being watched too. There is always a risk of—'
'No, no. That won't be necessary. Thankyou.' I say before hanging up.
There's no way in hell I'm having my phone checked by the police. That won't be the only thing they snoop around for, I'm sure of it.
And anyway, I hope my phone is bugged. I hope that bastard finds me. I want to show him exactly how I feel about the fact he took my wife, my everything away from me. And I don't want the police there to witness that.
All I know is, there's something I'm missing. Someone who knows something. And Jo is out there, somewhere. I just need to keep searching.