Flame Wars

I woke up with a start. I felt this unbearable soreness all over my body, my head felt like it was splitting in half, my eyes were stung by the harsh sunlight. Mumbled words and voices stirred around me. My mouth was extremely dry with a hint of what tasted like iron. I was laying on something soft and it had a sweet smell to it. I would've fallen back to sleep if I could but the pain was enough to keep me awake.

"... Can't wait here anymore. They're coming and I can't, we can't afford to get caught."

My vision was clearing up and I looked over to who said that. It was a familiar looking woman but I couldn't remember where I knew her from.

"Just look at him, there's no way we could move fast enough with him like that. We have to stay."

The other figure, the one who motioned towards me as she spoke was unmistakably Xion. But why did we have to go? Who was after us? I thought for a moment that they were talking about the FPA, but that wasn't quite the case.

"Fine, I hope this boy is worth your freedom sis." The woman glared at me as if I was the cause of all her problems and then seemingly disappeared, leaving behind red falling feathers.

I propped myself up to get a better look at my surroundings. I flenched at first for the action caused a sharp pain in my head. I closed my eyes and held my head. The quick scramble only made my arms feel like they were shattering. Someone very quickly grabbed both of my arms and somewhat helped.

"Are you ok? You should lay back down and rest some more." That concerned voice was from Alex. She must've been right beside me.

"Yeah." I started, "Never been better." My muscles felt sore, my arm stung like 100 bee stings, I couldn't do any magic. occasionally a spark escaped from the little magic I tried to do but it wasn't worth the strain. Maybe my shocks were as strong as the strength of a static shock from rubbing your feet on the carpet? I hated being seen like this. Weak, defenseless, utterly useless. Like the time Alex had to save me because I couldn't fly fast enough. I had to become stronger. I was starting to think I couldn't do anything the way I was.

"She's right you know" Noctis began, "if your family is as big and bad as your sis says they are then we should scram ASAP."

Noctis was pacing back and forth, trying to think of what to do next. From what I gathered he was concerned about me, but we needed to move on. I refused to slow everyone down.

It was hard to move but I fought just to achieve the simple task of getting up. My body ached and the pain seemed to intensify gravity. I seemed to catch everyone's attention, Alex came to my aid without a second thought.
"Cole...", Xion began. Her voice seemed to trail off for a moment. Then turned away and said,"he's right. We have to keep moving".

Noctis walked over to me and lifted me up by the arm. I winced in pain but that didn't stop him. He wrapped both my arms over his neck and lifted my legs. I was being given a piggy back ride.

" so I know you might have some questions", he began, "so let's play a game of twenty questions."

He started walking, I could tell that I was really weighing him down, yet he walked and pretended it was nothing.

"Alright." I muttered. "Why...", I took a pause to make up the question I was going to ask. Before I found the right words he seemed to know what I was gonna ask.

"Why are you... Like that? All torn up while your fast healing should've patched you up. Well Cole, that's what happens when you over over exhaust your magic. I noticed you put a lot of magic into your attacks and I'm surprised you made it this long without it happening sooner. Anyway your fast heal spell is involuntary. It will start working again once you regenerate your magic, until then lay off the spells. Now, I got a question for you."