The Blind Snake

I woke up early the next morning as I usually do. My glasses fell off while I was asleep, as usual. I thought it'd be the perfect time to try my new trick. I blinked and saw everything in a much better clarity. I spotted my glasses almost instantly and picked them up. I looked around and saw Crow's side of the bed gone. I looked at my arm to make sure that wasn't all just a dream. Nope, the tattoo was still there. I blinked off the crow eyes and put on my glasses. There was a sticky note on my desk, along with a chrome black whistle.

'Sorry to leave you in bed like this, here's my whistle, call anytime.

Love: your familiar, Crow.

P.s. Buy a chain or something so you won't loose the whistle, you only get one.'

I crumpled up the sticky note and threw it away. Might as well get dressed before calling him.

I went through my usual routine of showering, brushing, everyday stuff. I returned to my desk and inspected the whistle. It looked like one of those old whistles that gym coaches wear, not at all like Alex's whistle that looked more like a red flute. I blew into it. Nothing. I blew into it harder. Still nothing. I blew into it as hard as I could, I can't believe he gave me a dud. It could be set to a frequency that I couldn't hear, but just in case, I blew into it again.

A black bird swooped down from who knows where and went splat, right on the window. I guess I closed it as a force of habit. I watched the bird slowly sink down, I couldn't hold in my laughter. I was still laughing when he slammed the door, I opened it. He was furious.

"Four times !? Are you kidding me, this better be important ! Like in the next few seconds you die important !"

I smiled, "yeah, I needed to see if it worked."

"Don't do that again, man. Emergencies only, you got it ?" He was fuming.  What was his deal ?

"Why so serious ? What's going on."

He took a deep breath and frowned at the floor."Ok, look. I have a couple of guys looking for me."

I shot up from my chair. "Are you serious !?"

"There's more," he paced, "they've tracked me to this location. I've tried to make a false trail for them to follow, but you called me back before I was done."

"Well I doubt they could even make it to you, the teachers will protect us."

"Maybe. That's why I came here, came to you. I saw your power, I thought if I could lead them astray long enough, I could help you get stronger and you help me in return."

"Well can't you go back and finish the false trail ?" He had a sad look in his eyes. It wasn't a good sign.

"They've already picked up on it. I can't, they'll destroy this place to find me. They'll interrogate, kill, do anything to pick up the trail. The only choice we have is to leave."

"WE ? What's this 'we' business ? This is your problem ! My life was fine before you came here and I'll be fine when you leave." I yelled louder than I expected.

He kept the same sad tone that reflected his face. "Sorry I dragged you into this man, I thought I could do more. We have to go, seriously you're my master. If they make you call me, I have to come."

I wasn't about to let my life crumble apart because of him. He just expects me to drop everything, say goodbye to my friends, well to my friend, and run from people I didn't even know.

"Let them come, I don't even know you. Maybe you deserve what's coming to you. Do you really expect me to leave everyone behind ?"

He put a hand on my shoulder, and looked me straight in the eye. "Yeah I do. I had no choice, I know it's a lot to ask, but for now, just trust me.