Power Struggle

I was able to best her at every turn. I was able to counter every spell she casted. I outmatched her like I knew I would. But not for the reason I thought.

She broke free of my spell and avoided my attack by setting herself on fire and charging straight for me. She resembled the flaming bird Xion's father was, except Alex was blue. Instead of casting a complete spell I had to make my hands extremely cold. I caught her, she reverted back to human and I saw our hands were laced together. I was pushing her and she pushed me back. She was using fire and I kept up my ice. Warm air spewed off from our conflict.

Steam formed around us, at that moment we were evenly matched, yet neither of us gave in. Ice formed from the ground below me, and it seemed like more steam came off from her side. We looked into each other's eyes, neither of us showed any interest in giving up.

"If I..." Alex started to say," if I have to beat you down to keep you from fighting I will".

Something changed. I started to gain ground. I felt her getting weaker. Tears started to fall from her ferocious glare.

"I know..." It was like everything else went silent when she spoke. "That you're stronger than me. I know that you can help. But please, just let me do this for you."

She broke away. She summoned her wings for just a moment to make a high jump to gain some distance. She casted a spell, she kept one palm open and set it on fire, the other she closed into a fist and rocks entombed it. Her true specialty was hand to hand combat. She rushed me using incredible speed.

I knew what I had to do. I electrified one hand and made the other extremely cold. Hand to hand was our next stage.

She tried to strike with her fire hand first. Instead of dodging and counterattacking I simply dodged and waited for the next strike. Sure enough she threw a rock punch I had to dance around. I watched her movements and copied her stance. I was a lot harder to hit then, that didn't save me though.

She made good use of her familiar skills. She summoned her wings and changed her stance. She made a sudden turn while bending down and swept me off my feet using her wings. I fell to the ground and she didn't hesitate to give me a good punch with her boulder hand. I couldn't believe the pressure that gave me but I fought off the shock of the impact and held her hand. I gave it a good surge of electricity, making the rocks fall off of it.

She hit me with the other hand. Making me release my grip. Rocks fastened tightly around my ankles. Before I could reach for them rocks quickly formed around my wrists and were slammed to the ground. I was pinned. Alex jumped into the air and sent three firebirds at me, exploding on impact.

I gasped the air, breathing heavily as the burns all over me were being healed. I decided I had had enough of that fight.

I let electricity flow through my body as I casted it, I felt strands of it escape me with each movement. I broke through her rocks with ease and got up. Alex had a good amount of distance and stayed in her stance, waiting to counter my next move. Twilight was upon us, the sun already set and was getting darker.

I slammed the palms of my hands down into the ground beneath me. It did nothing at first,
Alex stumbled in surprise, when the light quake was about to reach her she flew upwards to avoid the Lightning.

"Oh no you don't." I screamed out loud. Lightning focused on the spot she was and arched upwards into the sky, she nearly got hit. The light quake continued to spread, eventually reaching the balls of rock, fire, and ice. They erupted in response. Blue lava filled the cracks that the lightning created, lighting up the area in a blue glow. Before it could reach me I shot ice into the earth instead. The ice rapidly expanded, and made the cracks that weren't filled bigger. Ice spikes rose up around me, increasing in size the colder they became.