➺︎

CHAPTER FORTY TWO

The last place Akaashi wanted to be was the grocery store, but it was inevitable, considering he had himself and a child to feed. He trudged through the store, arms rested on the cart. Nobu sat in the cart, swaying his legs as he looked around with a smile.

"Mama, can we go to the toy store after?"

Akaashi sighed, offering Nobu a week smile, "not today, Bub." He really didn't have the money at the moment to buy things like toys and extra treats. It's been two weeks since that very unfortunate night and he still hadn't heard from Kuroo. He's gotten a single text from Bokuto, an apology. Akaashi had replied that it wasn't his fault, rather his own.

Akaashi wanted to reach out to them, he was sure Bokuto would answer, but the guilt always kept Akaashi from actually doing so. And Kuroo, well, it was quite obvious the man didn't want to be speaking to Akaashi. It hurt, and Akaashi hated how things had to end this way. He wished he could at least give Kuroo a sincere apology.

With a sigh, Akaahsi glanced back down at his list. It was small, smaller than what it has been for a while. He hasn't been able to pick up as many shifts, he didn't always have somebody to watch Nobu and it's definitely taken a toll on his paycheck. He had to make sure most of the money went to rent this week.

"But, Mama," Nobu whined, "we always go to the toy store. Even if it's just to look!"

Akaashi rubbed at his eyes, "I know, Nobu," he groaned, "but not today."

"Please!"

"Nobu, not today," Akaashi snapped, angrily grabbing a bag of rice to put in the cart. His patience has been running a little thin the passed couple of days, and he feels like the two have been in a constant battle of bickering. Nobu let out a 'humph', crossing his arms as he slouched in his seat.

"Tetsu always lets me do fun things."

"Yeah, well I'm your mother, and I said no," Akaashi argued, a painful sting in his chest. For the passed two weeks, Nobu has been complaining nonstop about how Bokuto and Kuroo never came around any more. It was both heart aching and aggravating. Akaashi didn't know how the hell he was supposed to tell Nobu that things were most likely over between him and Kuroo. The chances that he'd be coming  around anymore were pretty slim, same for Bokuto. There's no way he would choose Akaashi over Kuroo, and Akaashi wouldn't ask him of that anyway.

"It's unfair," Nobuyuki pouted, glaring the handle of the cart and crossing his arms, "everybody gets a dad but me."

Akaashi froze, his feet stuttering to a stop at the words. He glanced down at Nobu, his eyes wide and mouth partly open. There was a sickening twist to his stomach as he stared at his pouting son.

"What?"

"I said it's unfair that everybody but me has a dad!" The boy repeated, this time with more of a bite to his tone. "Naoko has a dad, and they always do fun things together. And Konoha-oji talks about his dad, and Grandma told me that you have a dad too! So why don't I get one?!"

There were tears in the boy's eyes, his eyebrows furrowed and lips pressed into a thin line. His hazel-green eyes were staring up at Akaashi with certain anger, like it was his fault that Nobu was fatherless. And that look wasn't his normal pout, Akaahsi's only seen that look a few times, and one of those times, it wasn't even Nobu. It always left him feeling nauseous.