➺︎

CHAPTER FIVE

There was a screeching ring of an alarm clock coming from somewhere inside the apartment. It was enough to disrupt Akaashi's dreams, but not enough to wake him. and it wasn't until a finger was poking at his cheek rather roughly did he wake up. His eyebrows furrowed and his lips tugged into a scowl. He turned his head away from the consistent poking and there was a soft giggle.

"Mama."

Slowly, Akaashi let his eyes flutter open. He was laying on the couch, Nobuyuki sitting on his stomach. The little boy rubbed his eyes tiredly, his smile hazy with sleep. Akaashi smiled back, lifting his hand up to rub Nobu's already messy hair. "Morning, Nobu."

Nobu leaned forward, pressing his forehead against Akaashi's and Akaashi took the opportunity to rub his nose against the younger one's. It pulled another giggle from the boy.

"Can we make waffles?"

Akaashi side glanced the clock, he didn't have to be at work for two hours. It's been a while since he got to cook Nobuyuki an actual meal that they could enjoy together. With a smile, he nodded.

Nobuyuki cheered, bouncing on Akaashi's stomach and he winced. "Nobu."

The boy smiled sheepishly, seizing his bouncing, "sorry." He climbed off of Akaashi and ran for the kitchen.

Akaashi sighed, closing his eyes for only a brief moment before getting up himself. Nobuyuki was hopping around in the kitchen, singing a song from some kids show. Akaashi ran a hand down his face, trying to rub away the sleepiness that lingered. He would never understand how hyper Nobuyuki could be in the morning. A brief, unwanted thought came into his mind and he wondered if maybe it came from Nobu's dad. He scowled, shaking away the though, his stomach twisting with sickness. Nobu didn't have a dad, he didn't need one. Akaashi was all he needed.

"Nobu, why don't you get the flour. Please?" Nobu nodded and ran over to the pantry. Akaashi leaned against the counter, covering his face as he tried to settle the growing sickness in his stomach. "Stupid," he whispered.

"Mama! Can I crack the eggs?" Akaashi nodded, his face buried in his hands. Nobuyuki set the bag of flour on the ground before scrambling over to his mama, tugging on the leg of his sweatpants. "Are you okay, Mama?"

"I'm fine," he snapped, his voice coming out angrier than he meant.

Nobuyuki pulled his hand away, pouting, "are you mad at me?"

Akaashi's eyes slipped shut and he sighed. Slowly, he slid to the ground, turning so he could press his back to the counter. Nobu was staring at him with wide eyes, brows crinkled with worry. Akaashi pulled his knees to his chest and smiled. It was forced and tight, but it was enough fo his son. "I'm not mad at you, Nobu. I didn't mean to snap." Nobu nodded and he fiddled with his fingers in front of his chest. Akaashi reached forward, placing his own hand over Nobuyuki's. Now that, that was a trait Nobuyuki got from Akaashi. An annoying trait that left ugly scars on Akaashi's hands.

"I promise I'm not mad. Let's make some waffles, okay? Yes, you can crack the eggs."

Nobu nodded again, this time smiling. It was a small, shy smile, one that reminded Akaashi so much of himself. He let hismelf smile and he cupped Nobuyuki's cheeks, pressing a kiss on the top of his nose. "I love you, you know that?"