➺︎

CHAPTER TWELVE

When Akaashi woke up one morning after a terribly long shift, it was to the sound of dishes clanking loudly in the kitchen. The bedroom door was wide open and his curtains were drawn back. The normally dark room was flooded with bright heat radiating from the sun, which shone high in the sky. He groaned, eyes squinting as he stared out his blinding window before burying his face in his pillow. Already, his body began to relax again, allowing to let him fall asleep again.

It wasn't until he heard more clanking dishes again before he realized that meant someone was in his apartment. His head shot up from his pillow and his hand flew out to reach for Nobuyuki. When he found that the bed was empty next to him, he scrambled out of the bed at lightning speed.

"Nobu?!" He called out, sprinting out of the bedroom just in time to hear his son answering.

"Morning, Mama!" Nobuyuki was sat on the kitchen counter, his chubby legs swinging back and forth. Next to him was Akaashi's mother, who was cooking rice over the stove. He sighed, his eyes rolling as he closed them.

"Keiji!" His mother griped, hands on her hips when she turned around to face him. Motioning towards the digital clock on the microwave, she raised a sharp eyebrow at him, "it's half passed one."

Rubbing his tired eyes, Akashi shuffled further into the kitchen. "I didn't get home until five," he murmured, already growing annoyed with his mother's presence.

It's not that he didn't love his mother, in fact, he very much did love her. She's helped him through so much and continued to stick by his side. But maybe just a little bit too much. One thing Akaashi hated was her little surprise visits. Considering she lived four hours away by train, he couldn't just ask her to leave. Instead, he leaned against the counter next to Nobuyuki, allowing her to cook.

Looking around, he noticed the apartment was clean. Clothes that were usually strewn all over were now in the laundry basket, the growing pile of blankets on the couch were now all folded neatly and the trash had been taken out. The most noticeable thing was the furniture.

"Did you rearrange my living room?" He asked, dumbfounded. His mother didn't even flinch at the question, she only smiled.

"Mhm. Your apartment is so small, Keiji. It was cramped."

Akaashi decided not to argue with her, telling her how aggravating it was that she just decided to move his shit. He briefly wondered how long she's been here. He watched sleepily as his mother moved away from the stove, filling three bowls with rice and meat.

"Nobuyuki, can you please help grandma set the kotatsu?" Akaashi helped the boy off the table before Akaashi's mother was handing him two of the bowls. She grinned, rubbing his unruly hair, "thank you."

"You know," Akaashi started, crossing his arm, "you could have told me you were coming. I could have had work today."

"It's Sunday."

"Still. Sometimes I pick up extra shifts."

"I hate how you do that, Keiji. Rest is important."

"So is rent."

Akaashi grimaced when Seki cupped his cheeks, patting them lightly. She kissed his nose, smiling at him after, "stop stressing so much, Keiji. I just worry about you."