5.2

!TW! mentions of rape, angst
sorry in advance

!TW! mentions of rape, angst sorry in advance

"The wifi here sucks!"

Michael, who came straight from the shower, cocked an eyebrow. "You realize that now?" He asked. His voice was hoarse from crying, but he looked much better after cleaning himself up.

Skylar abused the enter button on her laptop with a harsh finger. "I didn't realize it was that slow," she said.

"The house is old, give it a rest."

"Well, you're quite fast for your age, so why can't this house be?"

"For my what?"

Skylar lifted her head from the screen. "Oops?" She said.

Michael chuckled. "You're lucky I'm too tired to argue."

"I have something that I'm sure will make you feel better." The page finally finished loading and she shoved the laptop in front of his face, including the paper file she had been carrying around the entire time. He frowned.

"What's this?" He asked.

"Your case," Skylar said. There was mischief in her eyes.

Michael flipped the case open. He only skimmed the pages briefly. Back to the file, back to the laptop. It went on like this for at least five minutes until he realized what Skylar had done. "You kept tabs on the case," he said.

"I did."

"But, didn't Strauss say this was completely off-limits for the BAU?"

"She said that, but that doesn't mean I care about what Strauss has to say. I don't. So, you're welcome."

"You risked your job," he objected. There he was, the father figure.

Skylar rolled her eyes. "Oh, please, I do that every time I go out in the field. Besides, this case isn't just personal to you."

"How so?" He asked.

"The head of the Ace of Hearts, nobody knows who they are, right?" She said.

"Yeah."

"Well, they called me. The night of my birthday party, I received a call. The number was anonymous, the voice distorted. Whoever was on the other line though, they kept tabs on me, probably still do. Asked me how I was doing after what happened. You're alive thanks to me, they said. It's what I've been trying to tell Hotch that night, that I didn't shoot the guy that was trying to attack me but that someone else did. Someone really good at long-distance shots. I now know that it was them. They shot the guy because he was trying to attack me or something, I don't know. I just know that by addressing me directly, they made this personal and I'm not going to rest until I get the son of a bitch who did this."