Chapter Six: "The Storm"

Nate stared at the young man, his ear fins perking up as the young man smiled. He wanted the young man to smile at him like that. Leaning on the ship a bit more, Nate giggled watching the animal lick the young man's face. Behind him, Mark tugged on his arm gently, whispering to him seriously. "Nate, we have to go. Now." Nate shrugged Mark off, whispering back breathlessly. "Not yet. Just a few more minutes." Mark squeezed his arm, pleading with him. "Nathan..." Nate wrapped an arm around Mark's neck without looking at him, pulling him closer to look as he told him. "We've never been this close to a human before. Look at them." Mark briefly peeked around to see, then muttered out. "Yes. Fascinating. Can we go now?" Nate released Mark to lean on the vessel's floor, upon sighing out softly. "Mark, we're fine. Just look. Isn't he handsome?" Mark swallowed, looking at Nate as he forced himself to ask. "Who?" Nate pointed, his tail swaying a bit faster as he grinned out. "That one. Did you know that humans can have blue eyes like that?"

Mark peeked around to get a better look at the young man that Nate was vexed with. Seeing a cluster of them, he shrugged and grumbled out. "They all look the same to me. Nathan-" Nate cut him off by grabbing his shoulder and pulling him up against him. Pressing his cheek to his, Nate pointed again and whispered to him. "That one. The one petting the animal. Isn't he cute?" Mark glared at the human, then softened his features as he turned his head to look at Nate with fragile eyes. Nate's full attention was on the human. Licking his lips, Mark whispered back a bit strained. "I've seen better." Nate chuckled lightly, saying distantly. "They don't have guys that look like him back home." Mark's eyes drifted down Nate's body, mumbling out honestly. "No. The ones back home are better looking." Nate rolled his eyes, still not looking at him as he retorted. "Mark, be serious." Mark's heart ached as he mumbled out to himself. "I am..." Nate didn't appear to hear him. He was too distracted by the commotion on the deck now.

Forcing himself to pry his eyes from Nate, he looked for himself as the music stopped. On the deck, an older human quieted everyone down and announced over the softer chatter. "Quiet down everyone! Before we all get too far gone in our frivolities. I'd like the honor of saying a few words." The young man moved to sit on one of the long heavy cylinders, petting his animal with a neutral expression. The old man gestured to the young man, continuing happily. "To our esteemed prince Sean, I'd like to wish you a happy birthday. And I think the crew will agree with me when I say that we wish you many more to come. If your parents were here, I know they would be so proud to see the fine young man that you have become." Nate licked his lips, whispering to himself. "Prince Sean..." Mark locked his jaw at how the name sounded coming from Nate's lips. Their attention was drawn back as the older man gestured to a group of men that were pulling something up from a open hole in the center of the vessel, upon saying proudly. "It is my great pleasure to mark this occasion with a very expensive gift that will be set in the village square back home upon our return. To mark the beginning of your reign."

Prince Sean rose off the cylinder, telling the older man seriously. "I'm flattered Anslo, but you really shouldn't have..." Anslo waved his words off, then beckoned for the group of men to remove the wrapping from the object. With the wrapping removed, Prince Sean stood before it with a face torn up with mixed emotions. The birthday present was a statue carved to look like the young prince. He wore a crown and on his chest was clearly a family crest. Mark snorted to himself. The statue looked so serious compared to the real prince. It was almost comical. He'd seen better statues carved of merfolk. Humans left a lot to be desired if this was their best. Prince Sean circled the statue, before telling Anslo. "It's... It's great, Anslo. But why so... serious?" Anslo puffed himself up, addressing promptly. "Because you want the people to see you as a powerful king, don't you? One who takes his job seriously. And will strike fear into the hearts of those that even think to overthrow you."