Chapter Sixteen: "Tour Of The Kingdom"

Nate watched Sean take Verlaine's arm to walk her out of the room. Sean didn't seem to enjoy it, but even in merfolk culture it was custom for royals to escort each other. Verlaine wrapped both hands around his arm, leaning into Sean as she walked and told him happily. "You certainly keep your people on their toes, don't you?" Nate rolled his eyes, following behind them. She couldn't see how unhappy he was? Sure, Sean hid his feelings. However, there was traces of his unhappiness in his small forced smiles and a tenseness to his dignified shoulders. Nate winced thinking about his family. He'd lived so carefree compared to Sean. Sean's burdens were only just starting. Yet, Sean was trying to be the leader his people wanted. He wasn't rebelling against the burdens they were pushing onto him. The guards followed them all outside, where more servants had horses waiting for them. As they made their way down the steps and into the courtyard, the servants bowed in union. Anslo then pointed to a horse that was attached to something he called a carriage, upon asking Sean. "Highness, the carriage is ready for you and Princess Verlaine?" Sean glanced at the carriage then at two horses that were set aside.

Sean looked torn by the decision. It was clear to Nate that he wanted to ride on his own. Yet, custom would say he had to ride with her. To Nate's surprise, Verlaine patted Sean's arm and told Anslo. "I think I'll ride in the carriage on my own this evening. I'm sure his highness would prefer to ride with the boys instead?" Sean blushed, giving her a warm smile. Anslo tensed, starting to say. "My lady, it is quite a long ride. Shouldn't you like some company?" Verlaine released Sean's arm, straightening up as she told him. "Nonsense. I can entertain myself. It's why I brought my book. Besides, the day is quite lovely. Why spoil the scenery with a lot of mindless prattle." Sean walked her to the carriage, then held out his hand to help her climb in. Once she was seated and comfortable, she inhaled the fresh air and told Anslo with a sweet smile. "My own father has never ridden in a carriage a day in his life. He prefers to ride. I'm used to it. Let his highness ride." Sean gave Verlaine a bow in thanks, then moved to tap Nate's arm to lead him to the horses.

Sean approached a beautiful black mare, patting her neck as he told Nate with an excited smile. "This is my horse. She was a gift from my father. She is the fastest horse in my kingdom." Nate looked over the horses a little nervously. They weren't the hippocampi that he was used to. These had four legs and no fins. Approaching Sean's horse, the mare snorted uneasily and tried to back away from him like it was afraid. Sean tried to hold her steady, while Nate reached out to gently touch her. He was used to animals being scared of him. Merfolk were predators after all. Although, as he slid his hand up the horse's long nose, he stared into her eyes with a respectful expression. The horse responded by relaxing and hefting a sigh. It was a merfolk trick. It always worked with horses. Since hippocampi were the horses of the sea and were used by Poseidon, they were treasured and respected creatures. Never harmed. He wasn't sure it would work on a land horse, but it had.

Sean gawked at him, uttering out impressed. "Wow. You have a way with horses. Did you have a lot of horses on your ship?" Nate smirked to himself a little but nodded. Even if it wasn't true, it was close enough. His father did have a lot of Hippocampi back home. Nate watched Sean climb up onto his horse, then made his way to a soft bay stallion. It snorted at him and pawed the ground impatiently. From his horse, Sean told him in warning. "Be careful. He's a little wild. He was my father's horse... He hasn't been ridden in... a while." As Nate approached him, the horse straightening up to its full height and locked defensive eyes on him. Nate stared the horse down without a trace of fear. Taking a step closer, Nate kept his hands at hip level as he showed the horse his palms. The horse looked at his hands, shifting from foot to foot. Lifting one of his hands palm up, he waited for the horse to touch his palm. When the horse did, Nate ran his other hand up his nose to pet his ears. It was clear he hadn't been touched in a while. The servants seemed impressed that he had touched him so easily.