Chapter Fifteen: "The Secret Garden"

Nate took note of where Sean's room was located, before following him out and down the hall. Sean gestured him to follow and exhaled heavily as the guards started to follow them. Nate smirked to himself. The guards were like the ones he had to deal with back at home. Glancing back at the guards, Nate smiled brightly. One of the guards jerked his head as he looked at Nate with worry. Nate winked at the guard, took off after Sean. Grabbing Sean's arm, Nate coaxed him into a run. Sean yelped in surprise as Nate took him around a corner. Nate pushed Sean against the wall and as the guards came around the corner, Nate shoved them down. Nate flashed Sean a smile, then jumped over the guards to run. The pain that shot up his legs threatened to make his legs buckle, but he fought through it. Especially, when Sean ran after him laughing. Sean was fast on his feet. He caught up easily and was even starting to pull ahead with a smile that shined brighter than the sun coming through the windows along the hallway.

Sean led him through the hallways to avoid the guards that were trying to find them. Sean slid across the marble flooring, grabbing Nate to pull him into a room before the guards at the end saw them. Nate panted with a grand smile on his face. Sean panted with a smile of his own. When he heard footsteps coming closer, Sean pointed to a wall by a large wooden desk, panting out softly. "Over there. Quickly." Nate went to the wall confused, until Sean flipped open something called a globe and pressed a button. The wall popped open, and Nate opened it to a set of dark stairs. Sean shut the globe, then quickly ushered him inside. Closing the door behind them, Sean whispered to him wickedly. "The castle is full of these. I hunted them all down for fun when I was little." Nate followed him down the spiraling narrow staircase. Sean stroked his hand over a soft glowing blue rock built into the grey stone brick wall, telling him warmly. "These always fascinated me. I don't know where they came from, but they give off this soft calming light. Don't you think?" Nate put his hand on the glowing brick, nodding. He recognized it.

He was a little shocked to find the glowing rock here. Nate's fingers moved to slowly to touch Sean's. Sean inhaled deeply as their fingers made contact. Sean's hand started to shake a little before he pulled his hand off the wall. Clearing his throat, Sean started to walk on, mumbling out nervously. "You shouldn't do that... I don't mind you admiring me... but... I get this feeling that... it means something else to you." Nate quickly rushed down the steps to cut Sean off. Pressing a hand to the wall to stop him on the steps. Sean pressed his back to the wall, not meeting his eyes as he uttered out in a wispy voice. "Please, don't. Nothing can come of it... Even if I wanted to try it... I'm bond by my royal blood... I can't." Sean ducked under his arm, leaving Nate to frown a bit. Nate could understand what he meant. As a royal himself, he knew the pressures of being the only heir and the importance of royal unions to unite kingdoms. Still, he could tell that Sean wasn't happy and wasn't going to give up so easily. If he could change his own fate, then he could save Sean from his.

Hopping down the steps to stop Sean, he pushed him back against the wall gently. Sean tensed, turning his head away from him. Nate touched Sean's jaw, lightly turning his head to make him look at him. When their eyes met, Nate gave him a small smile and placed a hand to Sean's chest. Sean's gaze fell to look at his hand, his chest rising and falling with heavy breaths. Sean was so scared. Leaning in, Nate brushed his forehead against Sean's temple. It was the only way he knew how to comfort him. Sean's breathing hitched. Then pulling away, Nate traced his fingers down Sean's smooth shirt and walked off ahead of him. He hoped by showing him that he wasn't upset that it would allow him to stay close to him. He'd find a way to save him. He wanted to see him happy. At the bottom of the staircase, Nate opened a rounded door and his jaw dropped. Sean followed him out into the bright room, telling him in a warmer voice. "This is my father's secret garden. Upstairs is his office. I was never allowed in here." Nate glanced around at all the green flower bushes and listened to the soft sound of trickling water.