Chapter Thirty-Three: "Family"

After delivering the trident to Sean, Mark looked for Nathan. When he didn't see him, he ducked back under the water. At the sight of golden light slithering through the water, he followed it as pieces of it split away across the ocean. The ones that slowly moved to things nearby, he followed. One of the glowing streaks slithered up to Triton's polyp. Circling around him and swirling into a whirlpool that grew as Triton did. Returning to his natural form, Triton gasped but looked relieved. Looking up at the surface, Triton chuckled to himself. Triton's smile soon faded as he called out in sudden remembrance. "Lorelei!" Dashing through the water, Triton went to her side and gently embraced her. At his touch, Lorelei jerked awake and smacked him with her tail. Triton winced, chuckling when Lorelei gasped out. "Triton?! Oh, I'm sorry! I thought you were..." She didn't finish her thought, before she wrapped her arms around him. Triton kissed her neck and ran his hands through her short hair, telling her lovingly. "I'm so sorry... I never should have stopped looking for you... Forgive me?"

Lorelei kissed him, then pulled from him to ask with deep motherly concern. "Where is Nathan?" Triton stiffened, giving her a shrug. Mark stopped at the base of the reef, gesturing to them as he said shakily. "Over here, your majesties!" Swimming slowly up to him, Mark put a hand on Nathan's arm. Nathan didn't move. Kneeling on his tail, Mark put his hands on Nathan's face. Carefully, moving his hands through his hair, he hoped that he wouldn't find any severe wounds. When didn't feel any fractures, he moved his hands down along his arms and sides of his torso. The golden light swirled around them, before seeking out Nathan. Mark paused in his work to see the light slip between Nathan's lips. Nathan's throat started to glow, then it dimmed back to normal. Sliding his knuckles up along Nathan's cheeks, he whispered to him. "Nathan? Are you with me?" When Nathan didn't move, Mark cleared his throat. He refused to give up. Putting a finger under his nose, he realized Nathan wasn't breathing.

Swallowing, Mark shook his head. Patting Nathan's face, he told him seriously. "Nate? NATE! You don't get to do this to me!" Nathan's parents approached, but Mark didn't care. Shaking Nathan's shoulders, he yelled at him sternly. "After everything you've put me through... You are NOT doing this to me! Damn it, Nathan!" Lorelei reached out for Nathan, but Mark draped himself over him and hissed out at her. "Don't touch him!" Triton stiffened, but Lorelei slowly sank down and told Mark gently. "Easy. It's ok. We care about him too. Let us help." Mark curled his tail around Nathan, shaking his head as he told them. "No... He's not dead. I can save him!" Triton started to reach out for Mark and Mark lost it. Swatting Triton's hand away, he hissed in distress. Triton grabbed his arm, yanking him off Nathan. Mark thrashed wildly, yelling out. "Let me go! He needs me!" Mark's tail lashed out so wildly that it struck Nathan in the chest harder than he would have ever hit him.

Triton got a better grip on Mark, letting Lorelei approach Nathan. Just before Lorelei's hands even touched him, Nathan's chest rose, and he started coughing. Everyone stilled as Nathan opened his eyes and reached up to rub his chest. Mark then tugged against Triton's hold, his voice cracking as he uttered out. "Nathan?" A small groggy smile pulled at Nathan's lips. Looking around at everyone, Nate mumbled out gruffly. "What happened...?" Releasing Mark, Triton rushed over to take his son's hand in his strong ones. Taking in his father's worried look, Nathan sniffled as a rush of emotions hit him all at once. He felt terrible that he'd run away. He had been so scared and had never let himself feel it until now. He understood now why his father had tried to keep him from the surface. He felt like a terrible son. He'd almost gotten everyone he loved killed. Sitting up, he wrapped his arms around his dad's neck. His whole body trembled as he sniffled out against his dad's throat like a frightened child. "I'm so sorry, Daddy... I should have listened... I didn't mean for-" Triton's arms wrapped around him tightly, shushing him to calm him down.