Chapter Nineteen: "Secrets Shared In The Dark"

Nate rolled to his side on the shore, watching Sean sit up. There were strange flying creatures that were starting to glow around the little island as the sun sank over the water. Sean squeezed the water from his shirt, chuckling out to him shyly. "Well... That didn't go as planned, huh?" Nate propped his head up on his hand, smiling to himself. He was happy to be alone with him. Giving up on his shirt, Sean pointed to the sunken boat, telling him softly. "We should try flipping that back over. It will be too dark to see soon, and we have to get back. If we work fast that fish might not catch us again." Nate reached out to grab Sean's wrist, keeping him from getting up. Sean met his eyes, then bit his lip nervously. Despite not saying or hinting at anything, Sean mumbled out a little anxiously. "Oh... I guess you still want that kiss?" Sitting up, Nate leaned in to rest his head on Sean's shoulder. He did want to kiss him, but he just wanted to be alone with him more. Sliding a hand over Sean's stomach to hug him, Nate felt Sean inhale sharply.

Why was he so scared? Sean's hand shook as he placed a hand on Nate's arm and lifted it up his stomach a bit more. Nate watched him shuffle his legs and hold his arm against him. It was strange behavior that he was confused by. Resting his head against his, Sean asked him in a breathless whisper. "Are you cold?" Nate shook his head, his heart beating faster as he tilted his head back enough along his shoulder to kiss his neck. Sean's grip on his arm tightened and his body tensed. Nate felt him swallow and pulled his lips off him. Lifting his head off him, Nate looked into his eyes. Sean looked so afraid of what he might do next. Giving him a small smile, Nate leaned in slowly to try kissing him again. This time Sean turned away and gasped for air in sharp light breaths. Nate sat back, watching Sean roll away from him to lean back against one of the willow trees. Nate crept closer, feeling helpless. What was happening to him? It was like he was drowning on land. Sean reached up to grab a branch, forcing himself to arch his back as he breathed in deep. Nate reached out to touch his chest. He didn't know what to do. So, he just stroked his chest as a way of letting him know that he was here.

When Sean's breathing leveled back out, Sean dropped his arms and uttered out through light coughs. "Sorry... I'm not supposed to get cold... It does something to my lungs." Nate touched Sean's wet cloths and flinched. As the sun was going down it was getting colder. Running a hand through Sean's hair, he made up his mind. He had to get him home. Climbing up onto his weak legs, he ran back out into the water. Diving into the water, Nate swam down to grab the sunken boat. Trying to lift it was harder than he thought it would be. It felt like something was trying to suction it to the bottom. Swimming over, Mark grabbed the side with him and together they slowly worked it up to the surface. On occasion, Nate had to go get air, but Mark continued to push it up from beneath. Getting it to the surface, Mark helped Nate flip it over. Ducking under, Nate quickly signed to Mark that something was wrong with Sean and that he needed to take him home. Mark's ear fins perked up, then he nodded before signing back to him. "I'll help. Can you get him in this?"

Nate nodded, rushing back to the surface to stagger back across the shore. Sean coughed a little, rubbing his chest before chuckling out to him. "How did you do that all by yourself?" Nate smirked, reaching out to take his arms to help him up. Nate's legs screamed in pain as Sean leaned against him for a minute. Nate didn't care though. Carefully, Sean pulled from Nate and headed to the boat. Nate was about to join him, when something on the tree trunk caught his eye. There was a carving on it. The strange thing was that it was written in the language of the Merfolk. While beneath it was more writing in a language that he couldn't read. What he could read took his breath away. It read; 'Ursel Vanessa Jones and James Killian Jones. To the farthest shore or the deepest fathom of the ocean... We'll be together somewhere in between. Where we can be free.' Reaching out to touch the carving, Nate looked around the little island with a sudden realization. Was this island called 'Weeping Isle' because of Ursel? Was that why Flotsam and Jetsam had known where this place was?