Chapter Twenty-Four: "A Song For The Lost"

Nathan leaned back in the seat; his eyes locked on Hook. He was afraid to look away from his dark eyes. Knowing Hook had hunted and possibly killed his kind, he felt like he was in the presence of a menacing predator. Hook turned his hooked hand to press the hook point to a soft spot under Nate's jaw. Nathan gripped the arms of the chair, his nails digging into the leather. His hands were shaking too badly to answer. Hook's eyes narrowed on him, before telling Smee in a stern voice. "Mr. Smee. Leave us." Smee inched closer, starting to say nervously. "But Captain, what if he-?" Hook looked at Smee with those intimidating eyes of his, causing Smee to bow and utter out obediently. "As you wish, Captain." Smee quickly slipped back out of the cabin and Hook waited until the door closed before backing away from Nathan. Nate exhaled the breath he was holding. Hook pointed at him with his hooked hand, telling him seriously. "Answer me, boy." Nathan wasn't sure he should tell Hook the truth but didn't think Hook would believe him otherwise.

Raising his hands, Nate began to sign out to him slowly. "Ursel is my uncle. He thinks you are dead." Hook made no expressions as he signed to him. When Nathan finished, Hook's eyes looked over his body like he was trying to see the resemblance. Backing up, Hook leaned against his large wooden desk calmly. He tapped his steel hooked hand against the side, his eyes never leaving him upon saying softly. "I can't decide if you are very brave... or very stupid. I've played this game before with a king. It did not play out in my favor." Nathan swallowed, his mind rushing to think of a way to convince him. Hook's eyes looked to the door briefly, asking in a dark voice. "I'm going to assume Poseidon sent you. Since only one person knows Vanessa's true name. And my question... is why? Did he think I wouldn't escape Neverland a second time? Did he realize that the hold of my ship was filled with a few of his precious mermaids?" Nathan didn't know what to say. He didn't know what Neverland was. Giving Hook a shrug, he signed out quickly. "I don't understand. I came here on my own. I'm here to save the prince."

Hook scoffed loudly, moving around his desk as he told him in a bitter tone. "Save the prince? That's not happening. I'm here to cut his throat and spill every drop into the sea. His father didn't uphold our bargain. And now that I'm back... I'm here to collect what I'm owed. I didn't spend all that time challenging Poseidon's wraith... just to end up with nothing." Nathan scooted to the edge of his seat, signing out desperately. "The king is dead! The prince has done nothing to you or Ursel!" Hook leaned his arms on his desk, sneering back through clenched teeth. "You're wrong. His son has EVERYTHING to do with what happened to us! Just like Triton's wife! They are both going to get what they deserve! And if you are Ursel's nephew... then you must be HER son." Nathan's blood felt like it turned to ice. He'd made a mistake. Jumping to his feet, he rushed to the door of the cabin. He grabbed the handle, then jumped away as a dagger impaled the door over his shoulder. Nate sank to the floor as his legs gave out under him.

Hook moved back around his desk. Walking casually over to the door, Hook yanked his jeweled dagger from the wood and told him in a deep threatening voice. "I'm not a believer in fate... but surely some kind of luck is on my side. I came for a prince... and I get two for the price of one." Hook sheathed his dagger up the sleeve of his hooked hand, then drew his sword slowly. The candlelight glinted off the shiny steel blade as Hook told him in a voice so dark and emotionless that Nathan got goosebumps. "It's a shame you lost your voice. Otherwise, I'd keep you alive so that your mother could hear you scream." Hook thrusted his rapier out toward Nathan's chest with quick precision and Nathan panicked. Without thinking, Nathan's hands jerked up to grab the thin blade. Nathan whined as the blade bit into the flesh of his fingers, causing them to bleed. Hook leaned his weight into the blade, forcing the blade to slowly slide through Nathan's grip on it to get closer to his chest.

Blood ran down the blade to drip over Nathan's chest as the sword tip drew closer and closer to his skin. Hook's eyes stared down at him mercilessly, adding with a growing bitterness and rage. "Ursel NEVER should have helped your mother! I should have GUTTED HER when I had the chance!" Nathan used the last of his strength to push the sword over his shoulder. Releasing the blade, the sword pierced into the wooden floor. Hook lost his balance as the blade lost the resistance and Nate kicked Hook in the pelvis to knock him back. Hook's hooked hand slashed out for Nathan's neck, missing by inches only because he'd been kicked back. Nathan rolled over to run, then belted out a silent scream as pain shot up his leg. Hook had hooked his leg and yanked him backward toward him. Nathan reached back to try and dislodge the hook, but Hook wrapped his arm around his neck to pull him upright against his chest. Nathan clawed at Hook's arm as Hook firmly gripped his jaw to pin him in place.