XI: The Ten Pillars

At the Dark Forest, the passageway to Daegu

"My King, we have just passed by Sangeum. We are now entering the Dark Forest. In an hour or two, we will already reach Jeongwoo's castle in Daegu." Junghwan said as he was riding a carriage and sitting in front of Asahi.

Asahi didn't make any reaction as he is just sharply looking outside.

"You might expect some turbulences along the way. The dark forest is— "

"I know Junghwan. It's okay. You don't have to remind me. I will be fine." Asahi calmly reacted but he is still looking outside.

Junghwan just then nodded in affirmation.

The surroundings are starting to be covered with miasma. Dead trees are starting to make an appearance while the crows' screeches are already getting louder. The trail has already been rocky and any sign of life is starting to be so minimal.

Daegu can be access through a transportation spell, or by opening up a portal, or if by land,  then by undergoing through The Dark Forest. Asahi, being a mighty warrior who relies on physical strength and mental might, is not a fanatic of magic. Although he believes in it, he considers it on equal footing with the physical aspect of power. Magic fanatics, such as Jeongwoo and almost all warlocks, believe that the mystical art or magic is superior than physical strength.

The Dark Forest is a dark, lifeless area that connects Sangeum (Land of the Sorcerers/Witches) and Daegu (Land of the Warlocks). It is covered with miasma, and dwells inside are creatures of the night, such as crows, dark beasts, and poisonous serpents. The trail has also not been kind since there are parts that are thorny, muddy, or rocky.

Despite all of these, the very special characteristic of the dark forest is that it feeds on your nightmares, sadness, or anxieties. It gives you an experience of delusion while traversing the forest. Often, strangers don't come alive out of the forest. Or if they made it out alive, then they're already insane.

"Woa, Woa. Stop, horse." One of Asahi's men, who is leading the carriage they are riding, said. "Everyone, stop."

"Your Majesty..." said the other man who is guarding the carriage door. "It seems that the welcoming committee of the dark forest is here already."

Then a loud scale of roars and hiss from dark beasts and serpents have been heard across all the forest. Screeches from the crows then followed. Miasma has gotten thicker than before.

"My King... If I may..." Junghwan said and Asahi nodded.

Junghwan steps outside the carriage, goes in front of the group, and faces the dark creatures who are ready to eat him alive.

"We come here in peace. We do not wish to harm you." Junghwan said. As a priest coming from the So bloodline, he surely knows how to establish peace and harmony among all creatures. However, the dark creatures just responded with feisty roars and hisses.