XIV: Friends Forever

At the River of the Afterlife, in the Land of Noruum

The River of the Afterlife is a river that connects Noruum to the gates of the afterlife. When someone dies, his/her soul immediately goes to the shores to wait for Jaehyuk to come. Jaehyuk will have the souls get on a ferry and will bring them to the gates. It has been Jaehyuk's duty for over a millennium already. In reality, it is the price of his desire to be immortal. He retaliated at first but eventually accepted his fate. He have met many creatures already and he is famously known in Sawkorya as the Gatekeeper. Little did they know is that Jaehyuk is also the Keeper of the second relic — the Hourglass of Souls.

"The waves aren't friendly today." Jihoon said as he and Jaehyuk are on a ferry sailing through the wide, open waters of the river. "This doesn't seem like a river at all but more like of an ocean. It's so wide." Jihoon further commented.

"Outsiders often think that it is just a narrow river but in fact, it is otherwise." Jaehyuk said as he is starting to boil again some green tea leaves.

"What powers does the hourglass has anyway? I've heard of it before but as far as I know, it can bring the soul of someone right in front of you for a short period of time." Jihoon said.

"The three Eternano Relicum (Relics of Eternity) each has their own symbolic representation. The Ruby of Fate represents synergy since it controls the past, present, and future. The Blade of the Centuries represents life but only its keeper knows what it can do. It hasn't been disclosed to the many but only to a few. And finally, the Hourglass of Souls which represents balance since it has the power to do anything over the soul of both the living and the dead." Jaehyuk explained.

As Jaehyuk waits for the tea to boil, he stands up and walks to Jihoon. "You are correct with what you have known about the hourglass' powers. But the hourglass can do so much more." Jaehyuk said as Jihoon becomes more intrigued.

"Such powerful relic, indeed. Must be dangerous if fallen in the wrong hands that's why it is hidden in this river." Jihoon relied.

Jaehyuk nods. "Over the dead, the hourglass has the ability to summon the soul for a limited time, to cancel or break any spell that involves death — "

"So that means it can bring someone back to life?"

"Yes... but you should not do it. One fundamental rule in magic is that you should not disturb what is already gone. Therefore, bringing back the dead is a forbidden act. There is an irreversible consequence if you do such."

"I see. So it seems I can't bring back my friends anymore." Jihoon sighs in sadness.

"The hourglass can also stop any resurrection spells and can even summon the armies of the undead. Over the living, it has the supreme dominance over one's soul and mind... meaning it can perform feats of location spells, mind control, and illusion projection." Jaehyuk continued as the tea suddenly boils. Jaehyuk goes to it and said "Let's try if the hourglass can locate Dara's soul as fast as we can before Jeongwoo or his minions arrive." Jaehyuk said in a calm manner.