22. Service.

Chapter 22: Service.

"It's so loud in here." Riley yells into my ear.

"Yeah, 'cause we're in a stadium." I say, rolling my eyes at her.

Riley and I are currently in New York. We came to watch Zachary's game. I didn't really know if I should still come after seeing him with Talia, but I didn't want to assume things so, I just decided to show up.

"I am digging the snacks." Riley says, stuffing her face with caramel popcorn.

"Of course you are. Share would you." I say, snatching the tub of popcorn from her hand.

"Why are you so aggressive?" She asks, scowling at me.

"Because I can be." I tell her.

"Ouu, the game's starting." Riley chirps, sitting up right on her seat.

I stare at the green field, looking for Zachary's face. I see him in the corner with his head down as he holds the ball. He's talking to an older black man with a cap and tracksuit on. I think that's the coach.

I watch Zachary in awe as he moves around the field. Avoiding the members of the opposing team as he races to the other side of the field. He passes the touchdown line and Riley and I cheer for him.

His playing has improved.

"Bitch, that's your boyfriend." Riley yells in my ear.

I roll my eyes at her and I turn my attention back to the game.

He is not my boyfriend.

***

"You were great out there, Zach." I tell Zachary as I wipe his sweaty forehead with a towel.

Zachary and I are currently in his locker room. We're the only ones here. Riley left ten minutes ago. She had to take a shit, so she rushed back to the hotel.

"I'm glad you came, Vee." He tells me.

"I already missed the first time you played here. I wasn't going to miss your last game of the year. And besides...Chicago's boring." I tell him, placing the towel on the bench before I sit on his lap.

Zachary smells my hair and smiles.

"What?" I ask him.

"You smell like peaches." He says with a cheeky grin.

"Aren't you a little too old to be using your pick up lines from high school?" I ask him, looking away in an attempt to hide my flushed cheeks.

"Aren't you a little too old to still be affected by my pick up lines from high school?" He quips.

"Oh, shut up." I say, cupping his face in my hand before I plant a kiss on his soft lips. His grip on my waist tightens, as he pulls me closer to him.

"Ahem." I hear someone cough.

I pull away from Zachary and I stare at the person standing in front of me.
It's the girl from the picture.

Damn, she's prettier in person.

"Heather." Zachary says, letting go of my waist.

"Zachary, I've been waiting for you for twenty minutes. Come on, let's go home. And we have to pick up Lily from Gracie's. You know she hates it when we're late." She says, folding her arms as she stares at him.

Home?

Wait, they live together?

I get off Zachary's lap and I grab my purse from the bench. I don't say a word, I just walk out of the locker room.