25. Christmas.

Chapter 25: Christmas.

"Merry Christmas." I tell Tobias as he walks into the kitchen.

I thought I was the only one awake.

"Oh please, miss me with that bullshit." He groans as he grabs orange juice from the fridge and drinks it straight from the carton.

I shake my head at his antics as I whisk some eggs. I'm baking a Christmas cake. I'm going to decorate it with some green and red icing.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for Christmas.

This is my first Christmas away from home and I'm really excited. It has to be memorable.

I add the eggs to the cake mix and I add some milk. I hope this cake tastes good. I'm really not that good at baking. The oven makes a "ding." sound and I know that the brownies I made earlier are done.

I put on my mittens and I take the tray out.

"Ouu, brownies." Tobias cheers from the other side of the kitchen as he rushes to where I'm standing.

He tries to touch them and I swat his arm away.

"They're still hot. And I'm gonna decorate them." I tell him and he frowns as he stares at me with puppy dog eyes.

He walks out of the kitchen leaving me in my own company.

One hour later, I am placing the cake on the table. I place the brownies beside it. I head to the kitchen to check on the lasagna. Opening the oven, I see the golden crust of the lasagna and I know that it's done. I take it out and I place it on the island.

"These are really good, Vee." Tobias walks in eating a brownie. He is wearing blue sweatpants and a sweatshirt. He probably took a shower.

"You weren't supposed to touch those." I tell him, pinching his ear.

"Ouch." He exclaims.

"Where's Amir?" I ask him.

"He left. I thought you saw him?" He asks me.

"No, I didn't." I tell him, washing my hands.

" 'Sup nerds." Riley says as he enters the kitchen.

"Hey, Li." I say, smiling at her.

"The cake is really pretty. When do we get to eat it?" She asks me.

"I wanted the four of us to eat it together, but since we don't know when Amir will be back we can eat it right now." As soon as I stop speaking, Tobias races out of the kitchen.

I roll my eyes at his behavior.

He's a kid.

"I'm gonna go join him and make sure he doesn't eat it all." Riley tells me and I nod.

Turning on the tap, I put the dirty dishes in the sink and I start washing them.

***

It's ten in the evening and Amir still isn't back. I'm getting worried, but I think he'll be back soon.

"Hey babe." Riley says, waving at Nolan through the screen.

"Hey. I just got back." Nolan tells her.

I grab the blanket that's sitting on the sofa and I leave the living room.

I'll just call it a night. I'm tired from all the cooking I did today.

Plugging my phone into its charger, I flop on my bed and I'm asleep within minutes.

"Valarie." I hear someone call out.

Slowly opening my eyes, I stare at the figure beside me.

Amir?