12. Purple.

Chapter 12: Purple.

"It's time for your first project." My psychology professor, Miss Kaori says as she holds a purple binder in her hand.

"Oh, brother." I whisper under my breath.

"For this assignment you'll need to write an article about one thing you love. It can be a place, a kind of food or a person. One of the three, nothing else." She says and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Oh wait, I forgot something. This article has to have ten thousand words and it's due by Monday." She says before she walks out of the class.

What the fuck.

Ten thousand words.

She can't be serious.

Today is Friday.

I hate college.

Letting out a groan before I get out of my seat, I grab my books and head out of the classroom.

My stomach rumbles and I make my way to the outdoor cafeteria that's in the middle of the school yard. The smell of tacos makes my mouth water and I can't wait to order one.

"Excuse me?" I say, trying to get the vendor's attention.

"Hello, welcome to Taco Loco, how can I help you?." The chubby guy with a hairnet asks me.

"I'd like two of your cheese tacos, please." I tell him and he nods before he gets to work.

I stand there waiting for my order as I stare at the students hanging around the yard.

Bradford is one of the most diverse schools I've ever been to in my life. They have students from every walk of life. Brown, Black, Asian, White, they were all accepted here.

"Here you go, Miss." The boy tells me.

I take my order and I pay for it before I start looking for a place to sit. There's a free spot in the middle of the quad, so I just sit there.

As I'm eating my lunch, quietly minding my business, Ashton sits on the opposite side of the table.

"Hey." He says, smiling at me.

"What do you want?" I ask him after I'm done chewing a piece of my taco in my mouth.

"Can't I just sit with you without an ulterior motive?" He asks me, folding his arms as he stares at me.

"I don't know, you tell me. Do you have an ulterior motive?" I ask him.

"I don't. Look, Valarie, I just want to be your friend. I mean, I thought we were friends back in Langston, but now you're just acting strange." He tells me.

Oh so, I'm the one acting strange?

"Look around, Ashton. We're not in Langston anymore. You need to make some friends and get out of my hair." I tell him before I take another bite of my taco.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to bother you. I'll go." He says before he stands up and walks away.

I almost feel bad for telling him off, but he just needs to give me space.

Minutes later, I am walking back to my dorm. Admiring the lovely mural on the wall as I walk to my dorm room. As I open the door, I see Riley and Nolan making out on her bed.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I say and they stop and stare at me. "I just need to get some things and I'll be out of your hair." I tell them.

Placing my backpack on the chair beside my desk, I grab my phone, my wallet and my jacket before I walk towards the door.