Chapter 7: The History of Machines

Once Stephanie had closed the window from singing towards Diesel and Diesel 10, she sighed and pushed back a loose strand of hair that was in front of her face.

Her long brown hair was pulled up from being inside the Steamworks from Henry, meeting Victor along with his cute and silly crane, Kevin.

Since she had encountered anthropomorphic locomotives before, Stephanie had been calm about it, feeling like she was born with this around her.

But the back of her head told her she does not belong on this island and belongs where she used to live, back in Marysville.

Ignoring the thought in the back of her head, Stephanie went back to the book on the desk she had recently pulled down from the shelves, sitting down in front of it on the chair.

She reached over to the light switch and flicked it on, shining the light onto the cover of the book.

The title of the book reads, "The History of Locomotives on The North Western Railway."

Sir Topham Hatt's name at the bottom too, which seemed confusing to Stephanie.

At first, Stephanie thought she might be in trouble if she was caught reading something personal from Sir Topham Hatt himself since the book has his name on it.

She hesitated for a moment, thinking to herself about the consequences she might get if either the maids discover her, butlers, or Sir Topham Hatt himself!

The hair on the back of Stephanie's neck prickled slightly in fear about the thought, but gathering her courage, she decided to take the risk and have a quick look.

Shakily reaching over with a hand, Stephanie opened the book to the first page, allowing her curiosity.

The first page had the diagram of a FR 21/K2 class, except without a face.

This curious Stephanie as she read the page about the class, including how to operate the locomotive, the fuel types it needs, and how to repair it, too.

Stephanie continued reading about the locomotive through the three pages, which are written in perfect handwriting so that anyone else could study the designs.

Once she had reached the last page of the FR 21/K2 class, Stephanie flipped the next page of the book in the curiosity of what else could be inside, only to come to another diagram.

The next page showed a picture of an LB&SCR E2 class, and just like the first three pages, it explains how to operate the steam locomotive, what fuel types it needs, and how to repair it.

It took about five pages to explain everything, but Stephanie read through them carefully to examine every detail.

She flipped to the next engine, an LNER Gresley A1 that looked almost like Gordon, except a little different from how she remembered.

Stephanie flipped through the pages of the class like the previous pages.

She learned how to fix it if it was broken, even learning about what type of fuel it needs and how to operate it, too.

After flipping through nine pages of the class and the description, Stephanie moved onto the next locomotive, an LMS Stanier Class 5 "Black Five," that looked like Henry.

Stephanie read through the pages of how the machine worked, which fuel the locomotive runs on, including the diagrams.

Stephanie even read about how to operate the locomotive through the pages.

It took about ten to eleven pages to understand the complete process of how the locomotive works until Stephanie moved onto the next one.

The next steam train was an L&YR Class 28, which curious Stephanie more as she became engrossed in the book.