Chapter 13: The First Day Of School

The next day, Dowager Hatt sat Stephanie down at the table to reveal something when Sir Topham Hatt was at work.

"Stephanie," she spoke as Stephanie listened to her. "Have you ever been to school before?"

Stephanie paused a little after Dowager Hatt asked, responding as she shook her head a little, "No, not what I can think of."

She reached up with a hand and gently scratched her head a little, thinking of some memories in her mind.

"I was mostly homeschooled," Stephanie continued, remembering some memories.

This confused Dowager Hatt after Stephanie answered her question, thinking to herself for a moment.

Stephanie cocked her head to the side a little and asked, "Are you thinking of sending me to school?"

"That was the idea." Dowager Hatt nodded in agreement, glancing back over to her. "But this is a different school."

"How different?" Stephanie politely asked, feeling more curious about the new school she is going to.

"Well," Dowager Hatt began, thinking to herself. "The school I remember when I was your age was strict. We had to wear the uniforms they told us and follow the rules."

She paused as she chuckled fondly at the memories in her mind of the good times.

"You should've seen Topham's and Lowham's school pictures when they were young." Dowager Hatt smiled.

Stephanie's curiosity grew when she heard the name 'Lowham,' but gently shrugged her shoulders, suggesting that it was one of her sons.

"Although," Dowager Hatt spoke, placing a hand on her chin. "Have you ever worn a dress before, Stephanie?"

A confused expression appeared on her face after Dowager Hatt asked, responding with, "Excuse me?"

"A dress." Dowager Hatt repeated herself, understanding Stephanie's confusion. "Have you ever worn a dress before?"

Stephanie paused a little after Dowager Hatt asked, thinking to herself about wearing a dress, answering, "No, ma'am. I have not."

Dowager Hatt thought to herself after Stephanie answered before stood up to her feet, saying, "Follow me, Stephanie."

Stephanie paused a little after Dowager Hatt spoke before nodding her head and stood up from the chair, following Dowager Hatt from behind.

She entered a room that Stephanie had not seen before, wondering if this was someone else's that she had never heard of before.

Dowager Hatt continued rummaging through some belongings as Stephanie sat on the bed, not wanting to peek around at some items to make her angry.

After a few minutes of rummaging through clothes, Dowager Hatt soon took out what seemed to be an old dark blue jacket, along with a long black skirt, black slippers, and a white button-up shirt.

"Ah," Dowager Hatt smiled. "Here's my outfit from sixth grade. I'm not certain if it can fit you, but it still is enough for you to use."

Stephanie paused a little as she took the clothes, smiling gently at Dowager Hatt.

But from the back of her mind... she seemed a bit worried about the skirt.

Being polite, Dowager Hatt walked out of the room for her to change her clothes, waiting for her to finish.

It lasted for a few minutes or more before Dowager Hatt heard a knock on the other side of the door, knowing that Stephanie had finished.

Dowager Hatt opened the door to see how Stephanie was doing in her old school uniform, seeing that she did pull what girls are supposed to wear... but wearing a pair of black tights underneath her skirt.