Chapter 22: The Culdee Fell Railway

Stephanie was just sitting in Sir Topham Hatt's office as he was doing work, just doing some homework that she needed to do for the next week since it was due.

A few times, Stephanie would push her hair back from her face and continue with what she was doing.

She would even push her glasses into place at times, too.

After the last page of her homework was finished, Stephanie placed the pages back into her binder and back into her backpack, thinking to herself of what she could do next after finishing her homework.

The phone rang, and Stephanie perked before smirking gently to herself as she counted with her fingers, hearing an 'Oh, bother that telephone...' when she got to the three-minute mark.

A soft giggle came from her after waiting for the response from Sir Topham Hatt about the telephone.

Then, she decided to listen a little to the conversation from him.

Although she did want to carve something in some wood, Stephanie denied that in her mind with worry.

Because it would leave a mess on the ground without anything to catch the shavings and get her into trouble with Sir Topham Hatt.

"Oh, hello!" Stephanie snapped out of her thoughts when she heard Sir Topham Hatt's voice, listening to the conversation from him. "Mr. Richards?"

A soft, confused expression appeared on her face when she heard the name 'Mr. Richards,' thinking that it was one of Sir Topham Hatt's friendly conductors.

"It has been years!" Stephanie continued to listen to Sir Topham Hatt, feeling curious by the minute. "How are you?"

The call lasted a few minutes, but Stephanie heard something about 'coming to visit' and 'won't take too long.'

After it finished, Sir Topham Hatt stood up from his chair, and Stephanie asked, "Who's Mr. Richards?"

Somehow, Stephanie's curious question seemed to startle Sir Topham Hatt as he flinched, turning around and noticing that it was her.

"Oh," he sighed, placing a hand on his chest. "You startled me!"

"I'm sorry, Sir." Stephanie sheepishly apologized as she blushed. "I didn't mean to scare you like that."

Sir Topham Hatt chuckled a little after Stephanie apologized to him before assuring her after walking up to her after she stood up from her chair, "It's fine, Stephanie. But I have good news!"

"Is it about this 'Mr. Richards?'" Stephanie asked curiously, cocking her head to the side a little.

"Yes," Sir Topham Hatt nodded his head, usually knowing that Stephanie had listened to his conversation. "Mr. Richards is an old friend of mine and my father before me. It has been a long time since meeting him at the Culdee Fell Railway. I think you would like to see him and his railway!"

"I sure do!" Stephanie excitedly smiled as she gently knocked her knuckles together. "The railway sounds like an impressive place to be at!"

Sir Topham Hatt nodded her head in agreement and led Stephanie outside as she followed behind him with curiosity and excitement.

But before she could leave, Stephanie picked up her backpack from next to her chair, placing it on her back as she followed.

She had never heard of the Culdee Fell Railway but felt excited about what the locomotives looked like there.

Stephanie even wonders to herself about what the railway would look like too!

Once they were standing outside Sir Topham Hatt's office, Stephanie felt confused about what they were waiting for until Gordon appeared at the station.