Chapter 9: Casey Jr's First Day

The next day, everyone was ready to go to work in the early morning.

They have their controls checked, their ash boxes emptied, and their fireboxes lit up with fresh coal.

Earlier in the weekend, Sir Topham Hatt allowed Moon to rent a house for herself to live inside.

There was a garage next to the house that had tracks inside for Casey Jr to stay in since there were no extra sheds.

But there was a problem with Casey Jr on this day.

He had no driver or fireman to move him or to shovel his coal!

Even though he did have the ability to move by himself, he could not just work by himself with no one with him!

Casey Jr was worried he might not be as helpful as he hoped to be and get himself and Moon sent away in the forest again.

Moon came downstairs to hear him muttering to himself, his pistons on his face as he looked stressed, shaking a little.

"Casey?" Moon softly asked, snapping him back into reality from mumbling to himself. "What's wrong?"

"I-I have no drivers or firemen!" Casey Jr explained. "What am I goin' to do?!"

Moon paused a little as Casey Jr went back to fretting before asking, "Maybe I can be both your fireman and driver?"

Casey Jr's mind stopped after the question, glancing over at Moon with a confused expression on his face.

"You?" he asked as he moved a piston from his face. "No offense, but I never had a robot drive or shovel coal with me."

"You have a robot to do that now!" Moon smirked before turning back around. "I'll change into something else and call Sir Topham Hatt to let him know."

Casey Jr hesitated for a moment after Moon smirked before nodding his head and allowing Moon to head back inside.

If he was human, his 'stomach' would twist and turn with worry but rubbed his pistons together instead.

After a few minutes had passed, Moon returned to Casey Jr but was wearing a more conductor's outfit than the usual clothes.

She wore a long-sleeved, button-up light green shirt as the sleeves rolled midway up her arm, as her hands were covered in forearm-length black gloves.

Moon also wore a pair of pine-colored overalls with a pocket on the front.

The ends of her overalls were shoved into black boots that reached up to her knees.

Casey Jr was surprised to see the outfit, reminding him of one of his younger friends who looked almost like her.

"Your outfit oddly reminds me of someone." Casey Jr gently mumbled, taking Moon's attention as she walked over to him.

"Who do I remind you of?" Moon politely asked.

"One of my firemen named Caleb." Casey Jr answered, smiling a little. "His outfit was blue instead of green."

Moon gently smiled as she went to check his firebox, saying, "It must've been a nostalgic moment, hmm?"

"Yep," Casey Jr nodded as she went into Casey Jr's cabin and started working on his firebox.

Half of him wanted to work to not make himself or Moon go back into the forest to be forgotten again, but the other half of him was concerned about Moon's knowledge of driving a locomotive.

To his surprise, Moon did manage to make him move, driving forward as he was gently chuffed along the line.

"Wow!" Casey Jr remarked as he glanced back over to her. "You're doin' a great job!"