Chapter 19: Darkness Within Shadows

Later that weekend, Stephanie decided to check on Smudger, Ryland, and Damien to see how they are doing with their new jobs.

But, rather than going on her own to venture across the islands, Stephanie decided to take the chance of asking permission from Sir Topham Hatt.

When they were in his office, Stephanie hesitated for a moment about asking him to check on them, thinking that she could be yelled at, but, gathering her courage, Stephanie walked up to the side of Sir Topham Hatt's desk.

"Sir?" Stephanie politely asked, moving her hands behind her back.

"Yes, Stephanie?" Sir Topham Hatt glanced up from the paperwork he was working on after Stephanie spoke as she paused a little.

"Uh, I want to check on Smudger, Ryland, and Damien," Stephanie asked, blushing a little with sheepishness. "It's been a while since I have checked on them after meeting the ghost of Casey Sr and Casey Jones. Do you mind?"

Sir Topham Hatt paused a little after Stephanie asked, thinking to himself about her request, before answering, "Of course you may, but don't be late for lunchtime."

Stephanie nodded her head after Sir Topham Hatt answered and, to his surprise, hugged him around the middle the best she could.

Funnily, her arms could not fully wrap around his middle, so it was cute in a way.

"Thank you, Sir!" Stephanie beamed as Sir Topham Hatt returned a hug to Stephanie.

She released her hug around Sir Topham Hatt and turned to exit out of his office, saying, "I'll be back at lunchtime!"

After that, Stephanie exited Sir Topham Hatt's office, stepping onto the platform to wait for someone to help her around without having to walk all the time.

While waiting, she thought to herself about where she is going to go first?

Should she go to the Skarloey Railway where Smudger works at?

The Ironworks where Damien works with the twins?

Or Misty Island to meet with Ferdinand, Bash, and Dash?

Stephanie spent a minute thinking about her choices of which way she wanted to go, knowing that it would take a long time to return in time for lunch.

So, Stephanie decided to split her time right for the meetings.

She would first go to meet Damien at the Ironworks with 'Arry and Bert.

She remembers where the Ironworks was, but half of her was confused about why most of the locomotives avoid it as if it was a plague.

Why would none of the engines be brave enough to go there by themselves?

Maybe it was haunted there that she does not remember?

Or... was it something else?

Stephanie's nerves got back to her of her decision about going to the Ironworks to see Damien as she put her long brown hair up in a low ponytail to make sure it would not catch on fire on accident.

But she shrugged her thoughts off her mind after pausing a little to think to herself.

Stephanie glanced around for someone to come over to her at the station, waiting patiently.

Soon, Diesel oiled over and noticed Stephanie waiting, stopping next to her with a slightly confused expression on his face.

"What are you doing here, Stephanie?" Diesel asked, cocking a little to the side. "I thought you were with Sir Topham Hatt."